Maxi fuse blues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Maxi fuse blues

Hi, folks! My '98 ROW 300 TDI is blowing one of its 60 amp maxi fuses, the one that feeds the ignition switch, the interior fuse box and practically everything else. A quick visual check didn't show any obvious short. Is there any known problem area (I mean, as in more problematic than the rest) which I should check first when looking for the short?

BTW, while checking for voltage in the live connection on the fuse box, I also checked the dead side... and sure enough, I had a reading of about 6 volts, dropping rapidly to about 1V, and then slowly towards zero. If I replace the maxi fuse, take it out and check again, this shenanigan is repeated. Only with the ignition switch in "off". What could be causing this? Do I need to start stocking Lucas smoke?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I might suggest asking at a UK forum. There will not be a lot of people on here with a 1998 or newer Defender, being a US based site.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Yeah, I though so... So I went to the Series2club.... to find out that they ousted me for not posting in about a year. Time flies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The fuse block on the footwell part of the bulkhead I assume? I think that is directly fed from the battery but would have to look it up. It is hard to get to but I would disconnect the battery and then take the fuse block off and double check all of the connections. Sounds like you have a short. Not generally a problem area unless there is a bunch of corrosion.
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Yes, it is close to the brake servo. I dismantled it, and there are good news and bad news. The good: this is a modern, modular thing, easy to dismantle. The bad: there was no corrosion nor loose connections. The battery feed wasn't real tight- but not loose by any means.
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Ok, trace the power lead back to the Battery especially where it enters the seat box. It just wont pop the fuse unless you are grounding out someplace. Has the starter been doing OK when it was not blowing the fuse? I would also check the connection on the starter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions