Maxi-drive t-case gears vs. Ashcroft Underdrive - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Maxi-drive t-case gears vs. Ashcroft Underdrive

I'm seriously considering either the Maxi-drive low range t-case gearset or an Ashcroft Underdrive and I wonder if anyone has had a chance to drive comparable D-90s - one with the Maxi-drive gears and one with the Underdrive? There is a substantial difference in crawl ratio between the two and the D-90 I drove with the Maxi's didn't seem a whole lot lower geared than my stock t-case Defender. I like the Underdrive idea better but it would be easily a $5,000 conversion after mechanic's time.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The under drive is pretty sweet... I am looking into buying one too. I have seen one in action in a 95 auto conversion 90. The truck walked over obsticals very easily.

The gears would be nice, but you would not need them for every trail ride, so they might be too low for most of the trail ride. An under drive would be selectable, so you could use it when you need it. That way you could try the obstical first, before you use it. kinda like using ARB's.

Old October 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Go check out this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618053

There is now a much better option than both on the market. This will be considerably cheaper and better than the Ashcroft option. The 380 plate may take some tweaking, but worth it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2007, 02:58 AM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Go check out this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618053

There is now a much better option than both on the market. This will be considerably cheaper and better than the Ashcroft option. The 380 plate may take some tweaking, but worth it.
Buck,

these comments are getting irritating,

Firstly I have no problem with other people coming to market with other solutions and I wish them luck but I cannot agree with your comments that this new solution will be both 'considerable cheaper' and 'better' than the Underdrive we sell,

'considerably cheaper', as mentioned in the Pirate thread both kits are approx 3 K, the underdrive is a known quantity, the Atlas kit has not yet been done so is still an estimation at 3 K minimum,

'better', is a very vague term, the underdrive will give you a selectable 2.69 reduction which can be used in high and low giving you 4 ratios, the lowest being 8.93, it does not upset the rear propshaft angles, they don't break, they don't alter the existing high and low ratios, they can be easily swapped if you change truck and it can be fitted in a day (straight forward bolt on) , with this in mind I fail to see why the Atlas would be 'better' unless 'front digs' are so important.

Old October 29th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I'm afraid I have to agree with Dave. I have the first crawler box. It was on my yellow 90 and once it became a 110, I transfered it to my Tomcat. It is totally reliable and gives gives me a great crawl ratio. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtrans
Buck,

these comments are getting irritating,

Firstly I have no problem with other people coming to market with other solutions and I wish them luck but I cannot agree with your comments that this new solution will be both 'considerable cheaper' and 'better' than the Underdrive we sell,

'considerably cheaper', as mentioned in the Pirate thread both kits are approx 3 K, the underdrive is a known quantity, the Atlas kit has not yet been done so is still an estimation at 3 K minimum,

'better', is a very vague term, the underdrive will give you a selectable 2.69 reduction which can be used in high and low giving you 4 ratios, the lowest being 8.93, it does not upset the rear propshaft angles, they don't break, they don't alter the existing high and low ratios, they can be easily swapped if you change truck and it can be fitted in a day (straight forward bolt on) , with this in mind I fail to see why the Atlas would be 'better' unless 'front digs' are so important.
First off, I need to say thank you for offering your box for the rover crowd. And thank you for coming on boards like this and answering questions, giving insight. You should also post this up on Pirate if you have not already. Your points are well taken and your opinions are worth a lot to people.

That being said, all the things I added in that thread were accurate and thuthful, and I stand by them. You'll notice that I never said anything at all negative about your Underdrive, not once. I simply pointed out what the new Atlas option can do that yours can not and the price difference, which is there. We all know the exchange rate is affecting that greatly, but it is what it is. Also, please keep in mind that much of this is due to the limitations of the LT, not your kit.

Now you have competition in the market, and more than just me are going to be comparing them. If you find a way to separate power front and rear, maybe people will pay more for the ease of installation. I think I would. But, as it stands right now, I think the Atlas is a better option for the money.

Thanks, Buck

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I'll give you my POV on my AT crawler box...

I got it a couple of years back, the exchange rate wasn't this bad...but I'll tell you its a great item...pricey, for sure, but I "needed" it (don't we all "need" things like that)...and I agree with Buck on 95% of the things he said, other than the seperation in power output, its 100% and that's what I understood he said...

In any case, Iwon't change my crawler for the Atlas, I would have considered it wshould the option be present, but my decision was based FIRST on the quality & service that AT provides which is top notch, second on cost...

Buck said it right - thank you for a great option for the Rover crowd for all these years...more products may not necessarily replace a certain offering, but can certainly add to the choices out there...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
I'm seriously considering either the Maxi-drive low range t-case gearset or an Ashcroft Underdrive and I wonder if anyone has had a chance to drive comparable D-90s - one with the Maxi-drive gears and one with the Underdrive? There is a substantial difference in crawl ratio between the two and the D-90 I drove with the Maxi's didn't seem a whole lot lower geared than my stock t-case Defender. I like the Underdrive idea better but it would be easily a $5,000 conversion after mechanic's time.

Clark
I've been running the Ashcroft unit for a couple of years now. I like it a lot. I think the lowest crawl ratio is about 120 or 130 to 1 with the 4.1 diff gears.

It gives you great control in the rough stuff.

I haven't driven a D with the Maxidrive gears but the lower range of the Ashcroft with no change to the stock gearing is better for me. 20 gears forward and 4 reverse. No offset on the tcase outputs.

If for some reason you really need to front or rear wheel dig the Atlas could do that better. My winch gets me out when nothing else works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions