MAWS claims another victim-Protecting Galvanized Frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
MAWS claims another victim-Protecting Galvanized Frame

Ok, so I admit after months of tearing down my 110 for the frame swap, I am suffering a little bit from "MAWS-might as well-syndrome. So I have a brand new galvanized frame and I know the galvanization is meant as a sacrificial offering to the rust gods, and I am probably over thinking it, but it is so much easier to do now that I have everything apart. I have read many arguments about this but I have seen a few rust spots already on the frame. Should I just POR15 the damn thing? I figure if I can prevent water from getting to the frame at all, that would be my best protection. My only concern is that POR15 is UV sensitive and I really do not want a yellow galvanized frame. So, to all the pros out there who has owned a galvanized frame for a few years, it it worth the trouble to try and protect the galvanization. God I feel like such a tool to even ask this question. OK flame away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
word on the street is that a bare galvanized chassis is good to drive on the beach every day fro about 15 years. you decide.
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have used POR15 and it is awesome stuff. I painted a Jeep frame with it, and it's as thick as a powdercoat.

My 110 original frame has zero rust on it, so I'm going to clean it and POR15 it completely next summer.

The POR15 can be protected from UV with overpaint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The rust is just little bits of steel that got into the zinc. You can ask JimC, but paint or POR15 does not stick to a galvanized frame. Also, if you look at blueboy's coil sprung 109 with 4.0 V8 in the updated ECR webpage where it was brought back in for service, the paint is starting to come off the underside of the frame. You may be able to paint galvanized on a body part, but something like the frame, you (or at least I) cannot make it stick long term.

Bottom line is, there is no reason to paint it. If you are really concerned (you work in a salt mine or drive on an ocean beach daily) you can waxoyl it inside and out.

The galvanized frame I put under my SII 88" looks new, but slightly duller, after 10+ years. No rust.
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've used POR15 on several frames. The chief complaint is peeling later on, but that is due to poor prep work and cleaning. Once you scratch it that opens it p for water penetration and further peeling. And the UV fading, which you would only see at the rear crossmember and maybe the front frame horns. All this can be prevented with their UV coating.

BUT, POR-15 will not last forever. If I had a galvy frame I'd leave it alone.

Semper Fi!
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

POS 15 does not stick to galvy, even with "proper" prep.
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You could Waxoyl it.
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I prepped the hell out of the rear cross member on the galvanized 90 frame before I POR-15'd it and applied multiple top coats. I would not put any paint on a galv chassis without lightly sandblasting it first, and then it wouldn't be POR 15.

Old December 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
For my Series rebuild I prepped the galvnized frame, used a good etching primer and then painted it. It looks stock and is holding up well.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Waxoil over galvy is you best bet. Keeps away moisture and keeps it clean. Especially if you have the frame naked and can get it in every crack (wow that can be taken so out of context...). Ok, I meant bare.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks guys. This is good real-world info. I don't want to start a huge debate so will just end it here. I was just really worried when I saw rust on the frame but Ron addressed that. Thanks!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions