Matching fan shroud w/ 200 tdi motor conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Matching fan shroud w/ 200 tdi motor conversion

I have a '94 disco 200tdi motor in my row 1984 d-90. At the same time, I believe that the radiator, intercooler and fan shroud are from a 300 tdi. The problem is that the 200 tdi's fan is far away from the radiator and shroud. Accordingly, there is a lot of loss of efficiency. As a result, the truck runs a little warm in very hot summer weather (95 degrees and hotter). It hasn't overheated, but the temp guage goes right up to the red line. I bought a 200tdi fan shroud but it doesn't fit the 300 tdi radiator and intercooler properly. It lines up nice with the fan, but it can't fit around the upper intercooler hoses (unlike the 300tdi shroud, the 200tdi shroud is not molded to fit around the upper intercooler hoses). There may be other shroud alignment issues, but I stopped trying when I noticed the intercooler hoses interfered with proper installation. Any recommendations or pictures of other member's solutions to similar problems would be appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IMG_20130113_162006.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	64427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Can you take the 200 shroud and mate it to the 300's shroud?
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:17 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Not really, the 300tdi shroud doesn't line up... Off center to the fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2013, 11:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
I have a '94 disco 200tdi motor in my row 1984 d-90. At the same time, I believe that the radiator, intercooler and fan shroud are from a 300 tdi. The problem is ...
Attachment 64427
I have fixed a lot of these...
The stock 200TDI defender engine uses a long "shroud extension" that is made of a rubber like canvas with a huge metal housing that bolts to the engine with clamps that hold the canvas in place similar to the earlier 2.5 diesels. These usually are gone on 90s and 110s and never installed on disco 200TDI installs (in 90s & 110s like yours).

There are many ways to overcome your problem...

My favorite is to remove the aluminum casting above the thermostat and drill and tap it for a thermo-switch. Then bolt an electric fan inside the shroud to pull air through when the fan comes on via a connection from the thermo-switch. I am no fan of the fan clutch setups as they can fail and add lots of weight to the shaft they connect to. If you do a lot of off-roading you may want to wire an interrupt switch so the fan doesn't come on when you are wading and self destruct.

If you want some pictures, send a PM with your email and I'll send a few.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Here's what the 0riginal fan shroud extension looks like

Here is a picture of the original fan shroud extension on an early 110 with a 2.25.
The 200TDI 90 & 110 had a similar setup... this is why the fan could be so far away and still cool the engine.
Without this setup that makes maintenance even more difficult cause it gets in the way of the whole front of the engine, you won't get adequate cooling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14_P1000979.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	64447  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

200 TDI Electric Fan with Thermo-Switch

Here's a picture of an electric fan installed in the TDI shroud (200TDI engine).
The was a junkyard fan from a Chrysler PT Cruiser, but don't remember the exact year.
In the picture, the breather hose blocks most of the thermostat housing, but the switch is installed in the bung in the casting just above the thermostat. Just requires drilling and tapping. Picture was taken before we finished and after the wires were put in plastic runners and zip tied in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electric_Fan_Switch.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	64448  

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Thermo-Switch Picture

This picture shows the thermo-switch, but not hooked up yet.
This is actually the same 110 as shown with the 2.25 above, but now with a low mileage 200TDI.

So was able to find these pictures and include them and hope they help you overcome your engines cooling issues.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	64449  

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Robert-
Thanks for the pics and the narrative. I am definitely going that way with mine. I don't off road (sorry), so I don't have to worry about frying the motor.
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:55 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Robert-
One elementary question... Is the fan a push or pull? In other words, does it pull air from the radiator or does it push air into the radiator? I know this is a basic question, but my vision is such that I cant tell what my current fan does.
Thanks
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Pusher or Puller???

Quote:
Robert-
One elementary question... Is the fan a push or pull? In other words, does it pull air from the radiator or does it push air into the radiator? I know this is a basic question, but my vision is such that I cant tell what my current fan does.
Thanks
Mike:
If you think about it... when the vehicle is moving forward air will flow through the radiator even without a fan, so the air always flows front to back.
So any fan mounted in front of the radiator will be a pusher fan, while any fan in back of the radiator will need to pull air air through the radiator or called a puller fan.

So knowing this, any fan installed in the fan shroud will be a puller fan because it is behind the radiator and needs to pull air through the radiator in order to decrease the temperature of the engine coolant.

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Robert-
Thanks. It sounds obvious when explained, but sometimes the obvious answers elude me. I appreciate the help.
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:11 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert-
Thanks. It sounds obvious when explained, but sometimes the obvious answers elude me. I appreciate the help.
No problem Mike, everyone has to start somewhere...

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Robert did you make that compressor mount ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Swiss compressor mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Robert did you make that compressor mount ?
Doug:
No the Swiss Fire Brigade trucks generally have an air compressor fitted to facilitate air brakes.

That 2.25 was pulled out in late December 2012 and the compressor setup sold on eBay.
It only lasted about 48 hours before someone bought it.
The newly installed 200TDI runs great... another fast one.

Old January 5th, 2016, 09:02 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Here's a picture of an electric fan installed in the TDI shroud (200TDI engine).
The was a junkyard fan from a Chrysler PT Cruiser, but don't remember the exact year.
In the picture, the breather hose blocks most of the thermostat housing, but the switch is installed in the bung in the casting just above the thermostat. Just requires drilling and tapping. Picture was taken before we finished and after the wires were put in plastic runners and zip tied in place.
I've been looking at the PT Cruiser fans online. Looks to be a 2006-2010 fan. These have a high and low fan speed configuration. Did you wire up both speeds? Just high?

Additionally, when you drilled and tapped for the thermo switch, do you drill all the way through the housing?

Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Don just posted a 200tdi fan shroud in parts for sale...
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:27 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I have just made a new fan unit for my 2 hundie Tdi for old red (Boner) it started as a Dorman 620-101 and was cut down to size. Red90 gave me this idea, you can check it out on his web site.

I had to make a new unit as the old disco shroud would not fit the new FB alisport intercooler. The Land Rover shrouds do act like a restictor on the air flow for the intercooler aways. Unless you cut the shroud and add rubber flaps that close when the fan is on.

I included a picture of the fan bolted to the old disco shroud as Robert was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160105_091144.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	138558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160105_091009.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	138559  

Name:	20151229_145207.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	138560  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Some pictures of my electric fan. Electric Fan | Land Rover Modifications | Red90's Photos! | Red90.ca

The simple, cheap control of the Taurus fan is with the Volvo dual speed relay and BMW two temperature switch. Google for a dozen writeups. All cheap and very common parts at any junk yard.

Wiring 2 speed fan with volvo relay. - SyTy/SGT - Forums
Recommendations for 2 stage temp switch for 2 speed fans ?? - NastyZ28.com

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, fan, motor, tdi