Mastercraft rs seats in a defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quotes are in the previously posted hinge would have been about $600 shipped per side (ouch). I decided to change up the design a bit:

This is going to be about $250 (bare steel) if anyone on Defender source is interested in a set for themselves. With a slider and new Smittybilt seat it comes out to under $600 per seat. The hinge is low profile so the seat height is about the same as stock. I can make a 1" riser for anyone interested.

I hope to have the first one here for fitting in "10 days".

now on to brackets for the back row.
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Those are trick! I'm sure this has already crossed your mind, but does the Mastercraft seat fold far enough forward for these to work in a 90 or truck cab?

I just plan to make another set of these for my truck, since I'll be running an aftermarket seat as well. They allow for easy access, and unless I'm servicing the battery I can't see any other need to remove the seat entirely.

Old October 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Hey Ash,

That panel is awesome!

The hinges will tilt forward or aft. If I recline the seat first I think I can get a pretty good opening tilting forward.

I will pin mine so that all four corners are quick disconnect style pins so I can even spin the seat 180 when I know I'll be staying in the truck overnight for extra living space. I'm planning on using Smittybilt seats but I can change the inner triangular brackets to accept any aftermarket seat.

If there is interest I can make a setup that will tilt sideways instead of forward and aft for guys with bulkheads. I dont know how that would work with cubbies though.

Oscar
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Very cool, and I certainly like the idea of 4 pins to remove the entire seat. If I don't end up making my own setup I'll be in touch about a set of these down the road. I have a million other things to tackle on my rebuild at the moment, though!
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Ash - are you doing a run of those side doors? Are you just doing the left side or both? Also, what finish did you do your seatbox in?

Blackfield - looking good!
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Don,

It's a possibility, although it's a pretty difficult install to be honest. If there's interest I can definitely produce kits for both sides of the seatbox.

The finish is Line-X that was tinted with Zambezi silver paint, and we did the entire interior of the truck from the tub capping down. The substrate is sort of opaque which makes closely matching lighter colors difficult, but I'm quite happy with the result.
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:29 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

They aren't bolted in since I didn't buy the correct hardware but this is the gist.

What I learned about this design:

- It does not fit in my 110, or any other 110, that has a B hoop or B pillar roll bar. I will have to make a slightly offset hinge to make it so the seat doesnt touch the bar at all. But this one will work as it sits now with a 110 without a B hoop using the older style mounting points but it has provisions for the two bolt per side style. Randy I might just mail you a hinge to see if you can bolt it into your newer style two bolt set up.

They are very very robust, a bit too robust. I'm scaling down some parts to eliminate possible interference with different seat sliders.

The machine shop is able to galvanize these in house so I thought that might be interesting.

Old October 11th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
My lower back kills from these stock seats
From the 5 minute drive to the mall and back? Soooory. Couldn't resist an opportunity to motivate you to attend ROTR 2013.
Old October 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris I hate you...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions