Master Clutch Cylinder Replacement: Questions... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Master Clutch Cylinder Replacement: Questions...

Hey guys...I'm in the process of trying to replace my master cylinder.

Here's what I have:

-'71 Series IIa body on a D90 galvy frame
-2.5L Milspec 5 main bearing engine
-D90 axles
-D90 front disc brakes
-LT 77 tranny / LT230 xfer case

So, with that said, you will notice that the master clutch cylinder is tucked up under the driver's side wing. Tough to get to...no room for top down removal without removing the fender..which I plan on doing.

For the longest time, the clutch pedal engaged fairly close to the floor. The master cylinder always had a slight leak but I never could figure out if that was the issue, or the clutch was on its last leg. As of recent, it began to leak down the clutch pedal more than usual...and after bleeding several times, the clutch engages right off the floor.

I'm replacing the master cylinder but after opening the top, I noticed that its kind of rigged in there...not like what I've found pictured in the DIYs (http://landytown.myfastforum.org/arc...t__t_4893.html) floating around the internet. I was going to try and adjust the pushrod so the clutch would engage a bit further off the floor but it looks like I have no room left. Any suggestions on this and how I could go about gaining a bit more room to adjust the plunger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

The last time I replaced a master cylinder on my 90, I unbolted the brake assembly from the bulkhead and moved that aside - brake lines were not disconnected. That left just enough room to remove the clutch assembly.
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The only thing funky that I see if that 12 point nut and big washer. It should be an identical nut to the one on the MC side of the pedal trunion and a thin washer. When you put the new one in you will have plenty of adjustment available to set it up correctly.
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Pull the fender - it's really easy on the IIa body. As Kevin says the new one should have a threaded rod with nuts on both sides to allow you to adjust it.

Can we see some more pics of your rig?
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Pull the fender - it's really easy on the IIa body. As Kevin says the new one should have a threaded rod with nuts on both sides to allow you to adjust it.

Can we see some more pics of your rig?
Thanks everyone. I may move the brake assembly as Hoosier suggested. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the master brake cylinder as well.

I have several maintenance items I just ordered to replace before spring gets here.

Anyone have any links to any good DIYs on pulling the transmission/xfer case? I'd like to replace the clutch and some of the gaskets.

Cgalpin - here are some more pics of my setup.

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I love it. It looks like that bumper is setup for a husky too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, master