Master Brake Cylinder Replacement: Questions! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
NC Rover
1971 Series IIa Hybrid
Master Brake Cylinder Replacement: Questions!

I was hoping someone could identify the Master Brake Cylinder pictured and show me where I could buy another one? I believe it is an early 110 Master Cylinder. I currently have disc brakes on the front and drum brakes in the back. Brake pressure is equalized through a small equalizer...that is leaking as well (see below).

Question #1: Any idea which Master Brake Cylinder this is?

Question#2: Is this a difficult thing to replace or is it as easy as swapping out like the Master Clutch Cylinder?

Question #3: If there is a small leak running down right below where the Master connects to the "black disc" (no idea what the name of that part is), shoudl I replace just the master cylinder or both the cylinder and the big black thing that I dont' know the name of?

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

You could also try a rebuild kit as the front seal is leaking. The"black disc" is the booster and should be fine.

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
The brake master cylinder is a 110 one.. The black disk you're talking about is the brake booster or servo. You can rebuild the master cylinder if the bore are alright. Otherwise it will leak. In my opinion change the thing as it's not expensive. For the brake booster, if it work, don't touch it.
Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, brake, master