Massachussetts new emissions testing - Diesel Engine Conversions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

3/4 tons

From the MA site
"The following types of motor vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection:

Medium duty diesel vehicles (up to 10,000 pounds GVWR) that were either manufactured before model year 2007 or are 15 or more model years old "

If I understand this correctly, only people with light duty diesels need to be concerned. All pre-2007 3/4 ton diesels are in the clear. Yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
That's interesting.....meaning that the motor will have to be 23 yrs old to be EPA exempt, and that the body, frame would have to be older than that.
Why the 23 year thing? You can certainly do more recent as long as EGR is in place for that year.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

D. Marchand: your pm box is full, can't respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
grobinson
Gavin Robinson
95 SWB RRC

On top of the diesel requirement, I believe the ABS light for 97+ vehicles will now have to be off in order to pass MA inspection, which wasn't required before I don't think.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
No ABS in '97 - 90's. Luckily.
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Good news for Mass drivers!

Got it straight from the head guy at MA DEP. Yippee! Just two more years and no more emissions! Also, note the third paragraph on the readiness sensors. I would have passed my test the first time if I had waited for all sensors to set except two - one of which is the evap. It's usually the last one to set so it's a big deal.

---------------------------------------------------
Regarding the 15-year rolling exemption - Our program recently went from a fixed-date exemption to a 15-year rolling exemption. While this is in place now, it is subject to EPA approval. However, this does not apply to the diesel opacity testing requirement: we continue to require that 1984 and newer heavy-duty diesel vehicles receive an opacity test for excessive smoke (unless the vehicle is required to receive a test using its onboard diagnostic system).

The 15-year rolling exemption is based on the model year of the vehicle as assigned by the manufacturer, regardless of its calendar year of production. For example, a model year 2010 vehicle that was manufactured in September of 2009 will have its 15-year exemption determined based on its model year of 2010.

Regarding monitor readiness - we generally adhere to the EPA protocol that allows two monitors to be Not Ready for model years 2000 and older, and allows one monitor to be Not Ready for model years 2001 and newer. However, if a vehicle fails its initial test because of a catalytic converter problem, the catalytic converter monitor must be Ready before a retest will be allowed.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Wow, and I was annoyed at being charged $60 for them to say "oh it's a British diesel, it passes"
without ever hooking up anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
jpmarotta
Jason Marotta
2001 Range Rover HSE

Thumbs up Bringing this back...

... from the dead.

Wanted to get an update on how MA residents are faring with the yearly inspections?

I'm looking at picking up an early 80's imported, 300Tdi powered Defender, wondering if I'll be able to register it?

Took a look at the DMV and MassDEP sites, and think I'm in the clear, but would like to hear about first hand experience.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Are you worried about registration or emissions/inspection?

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
jpmarotta
Jason Marotta
2001 Range Rover HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
Are you worried about registration or emissions/inspection?
Well, I was just worried about the emissions/inspection, but now you've got me worried about registration, although the seller has all importation docs.
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

I realize this thread is/was about Mass issues, but...

Is it a general consensus on the board that someone with an eye toward possible tdi conversion for a NAS defender in the future would be better off buying a '93-'95?

I mean for my question to apply regardless of location as people often do not know where they will move in the future or may not know where a future purchaser of their vehicle may be coming from.
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

jason call me 781 640 264zero
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002 View Post
I realize this thread is/was about Mass issues, but...

Is it a general consensus on the board that someone with an eye toward possible tdi conversion for a NAS defender in the future would be better off buying a '93-'95?

I mean for my question to apply regardless of location as people often do not know where they will move in the future or may not know where a future purchaser of their vehicle may be coming from.
Simple answer is "yes". Google OBDII tampering federal offense.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I just confirmed this with the head guy in Mass:

The 15-year rolling exemption is still in place. Effective January 1, 2011, model year 1996 vehicles are no longer subject to the OBD emissions test. Effective January 1, 2012, model year 1997 vehicles will no longer be subject to the emissions test.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Looks like jig is up in New York State for 1997 or newer diesels under 8500 lbs: emissions test via obd2 is now required.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I wonder if there is some kind of rolling exemption in NYS too?
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In NY no emissions on '95 and prior (any vehicle), but after this is subject to testing. Not sure this is any ground breaking news...I thought it's always been that way? Just do the conversion on a '94 or '95 (or better yet just import from the '80s) and don't lose any sleep over it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:25 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm View Post
I just confirmed this with the head guy in Mass:

The 15-year rolling exemption is still in place. Effective January 1, 2011, model year 1996 vehicles are no longer subject to the OBD emissions test. Effective January 1, 2012, model year 1997 vehicles will no longer be subject to the emissions test.
This is true, but tampering with OBDII emissions equipment is still a federal offense LOL.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
In NY no emissions on '95 and prior (any vehicle), but after this is subject to testing. Not sure this is any ground breaking news...I thought it's always been that way? Just do the conversion on a '94 or '95 (or better yet just import from the '80s) and don't lose any sleep over it.
May have to do that, since i repowered my 1998 Disco about six years ago and it couldnt be inspected through the missing obd port.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, conversion, diesel, engine