Masai Spare Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Masai Spare Carrier

I know there are lots of threads on spare carriers.

Did a search for this one, before posting. Nothing other than the red color came up...

Has anyone tried this spare carrier ? http://www.masai-land-rover.com/defe...wheel-carrier/

Having trouble seeing it on their website from here, but a google search for photos shows some different ones, so it is even a bit more unclear. They say they have a carrier and one for larger spares ?

Really like the Rockware custom one with dual jerry cans tucked ahead of the adjustable height spare and with hi-lift and tool attachment points (http://www.defendersource.com/prod/rw_tire/index.html), but think it's likely not affordable.

The Mantec and Safari Equip (was WVA ?) carriers each have their own appeal, and the SE one seems to be slightly ahead in terms of how it's mounted, but from the photos it looks like it holds the spare very low compared to the Mantec. Since we'll be using a 315/75R16, that's a concern.

Wish someone would just make a sturdy, single-post, swing-away carrier (like those made for other rigs) that attaches to the rear crossmember and not at all to the body (maybe one that'll also carry two jerry cans and a jack and some tools) and at a reasonable price compared to what's out there for other trucks or is this too much wishful thinking ?

Thanks for any input, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I wish there was swing away crossmember mounted one as well. That way it doesnt matter if you have a ST or SW and gets the weight off the body.
By no means am I a fabricator, but how hard could it be to modify the existing into single post crossmember mounted system?
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Agreed. It doesn't look like rocket science...

By the way, I just saw this one : http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/la...r/defender.php

No idea yet if it is available here in the states. Price might be an altogether different issue, too.

As for the single post crossmember mount, it looks to me like there's not all that much to it, is there ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Saw KayMar at the Overland Expo and they said they are now importing to the US, but I didn't like the design of their stuff for heavy trails and so I didn't get their distributor's name.
Actually most OZ stuff that I've seen seemed better suited to overlanding than rocks or trails. Makes sense given how they wheel down under.
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Hi CB,
Thank you for the input.
Think the US supplier is "Man-a-fre" ? Might only by Toyota stuff, however.
Sent a note, but no response yet and am wondering if it'll be too costly...
What was it about the design you didn't care for, by the way ?
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I have the one on the left in the attached ad. I modified it by attaching a vertical leg to the carrier that mates with a piece of angle attached to the tub mount bolts.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzknarf View Post
Hi CB,
Thank you for the input.
Think the US supplier is "Man-a-fre" ? Might only by Toyota stuff, however.
Sent a note, but no response yet and am wondering if it'll be too costly...
What was it about the design you didn't care for, by the way ?
Now that you mention it, the Kaymar rear bumper was on a Toyota LC.
I don't really remember any specifics, but my overall impression was that it was heavy duty - maybe even clunky - and that it negatively affected the departure angle. I just wasn't impressed versus what we have available in the US.
The Australian dollar is trading over par (1 AUS dollar is worth more than 1 US Dollar), add the shipping costs and I don't see how it could be less than a quality US made item (and I am not a Buy American believer).
My D90 has a Rockware bumper which is beautifully made and I removed the almost new ARB bumper from my 1995 RRC and replaced it with an RTE bumper which I think is vastly superior to the ARB, so you can see my prejudices.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Hi Kevin,
Thanks. Which ad, please ? Do you mean the Masai one ? I can see the photos on the home computer - the one on the right is their "large spare" carrier.

Hi CB,
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, with how weak the dollar is these days, it's becoming very challenging...
Thanks also for your input on your Rockware bumper. Wish I had Matt's email address, so I could send him a note and see if perhaps this is feasible... (know there is only a phone number on their site)
I also had a great front bumper made by RTE for a D1 and was very pleased right from the start - they were great to work with.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The one on the left in the masai ad labeled swing away for soft top.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for clarifying that.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Can you use ROW style hitch on Matt's rear bumper? $1500 is alot of coin, but for a real tire carrier and bumper combo, its not that bad.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

That's a very good question. I guess since it would be custom, then anything is possible ?

Thank you for the idea on pricing...

Kind of hoping for a set-up that bolts to the rear crossmember, rather than an entire "bumper," but then that might not be a bad idea either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, spare