Marine Stereo Install Advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812
Marine Stereo Install Advice

I'm planning to replace my stereo and speakers for my 95 D-90. I want to use marine speakers and a marine stereo. I looked through past forms and I think that I found some good speakers but I'm unsure if they'll fit. I'm unsure how to choose one that will fit properly and that will involve no wiring changes or modifications. I know very little about this stuff and any help with choosing a new stereo would be appreciated. I know that there are a lot of stereo forums on the site but I didn't find any that really answered my question. I apologize in advance if this has already been answered in another post.

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212
Are your speakers in the door or under the dash? I believe all NAS D90 speakers are 6 1/2 in round. So you need something compatible with that. There are speakers up to 6 3/4 and down to 5in-ish that will fit in that hole. If yours has the rubber ring that attaches to the door card under the speaker... that should offer plenty of depth. Same for the rear.

You might need to splice the existing wiring harness for the speakers if the connectors don't fit... they are the spade clip on thingys. But try first before cutting anything.

As for the stereo, I was recom'd to use this harness one by one of the site members: Crutchfield/Metra 70-9400. But I ended up going with a seperate amp so didn't need it. The wiring codes are here: if you the harness doesn't work.

Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

marine, sound system, speakers, stereo