Mantec winch bumper - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

how is the Camel Trophy cage different than the L123 cage? link here

it looks like the diagonal supports in the rear are different, anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
how is the Camel Trophy cage different than the L123 cage? link here

it looks like the diagonal supports in the rear are different, anything else?
the CT cage is this one, the 4-door station wagon variant (L183):

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedit...3-present/656/

although they show two versions of the rear diagonal support for this cage, a single long one (in the yellow truck) vs. 2 separate shorter ones in a 'V' configuration, I think they only make and sell the latter version, at least based on their diagram.
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Got it, thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:21 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Sorry to resurrect this old-ish thread. I'm hoping to hang a Husky 10 off the front of my A/C equipped Defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Here you go. Mantec bumper with Husky 10 on a 300TDI with AC.
Did we ever verify which bumper this is? Arjun says its a Mantec, but there's nothing like it on the Mantec site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
There is no difference between that bumper and my Terrafirma T002
When I check the Terrafirma site, I can't find a T002. There's a TF002s that accepts Superwinch planetary winches, and A TF002W that accepts Warn winches. Then there's a TF004 that accepts the Husky, but not suitable for A/C equipped trucks. I'd love to email or call Terrafirma, but I can't find a way to contact them via their website. Maybe there's a big "contact us" link right in front of my face but if so I'm just missing it.

The photo below compares the bumper on Arjun's truck with the Terrafirma offering. Notice the front face of each bumper. On Arjun's bumper, the face changes angles just inboard of the jack holes. The face Terrafirma bumper below doesn't change angles.

I like Arjun's bumper. I'd love know it's make and model, and where I can get one.

If anyone can help clear this up, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper comparison.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	50990  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
www.lucky8llc.com or 5speeddisco on this site...he sells Terrafirma and can help you out.

BTW...love my Terrafirma bumper.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I am having one added next week with my soft A bar and a warn winch 9.5ti. I would be glad to send you pictures once it is on. Shawn
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding View Post
Sorry to resurrect this old-ish thread. I'm hoping to hang a Husky 10 off the front of my A/C equipped Defender.
Captain, the husky is a pretty large winch and usually requires a deeper bumper. I had Rockware make me a bumper for the husky, although I still haven't gotten around to mounting the winch
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
www.lucky8llc.com or 5speeddisco on this site...he sells Terrafirma and can help you out.
Thanks for that link. I went to the website to check out the Terrafirma offerings. There was one specified for a Defender without a/c, but not with a/c.

If your truck has a/c and you've found a way to make the Terrafirma bumper work with it, please don't keep it a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Captain, the husky is a pretty large winch and usually requires a deeper bumper. I had Rockware make me a bumper for the husky, although I still haven't gotten around to mounting the winch
Yes, I know the Husky is a big winch. I know some folks locally who could fab a bumper for me. I'm looking for an off-the shelf solution, though.

First Four makes a winch bumper also. But I can't get them to reply to my email.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
By off the shelf, do you mean a timely solution? Call Justin and I'm pretty sure he can get you anything that Terrafirma makes (it may not be listed on his site). Otherwise a local fab shop might be the quickest.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I have the A/C version (albeit for Warn) but call/email Justin and he can hook you up with anything.

Mine was a custom order and only took a couple of weeks.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Don't remember the part number and it is no longer on the Mantec website - so it could be NLA. Not sure - you're going to have to call them to get the definitive answer.

On the positive side, Rovers North does have the bumper in stock. It's called the Mantec Camel Trophy style winch bumper, part number RNA7403 priced at $499 + shipping.

I also took a few more pictures of the bumper to show the clearance with the winch and the AC compressor area. Apologies in advance for the crappy cellphone camera pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20120502_193459.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	51031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120502_193512.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	51032  

Name:	IMG_20120502_193522.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	51033  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Don't remember the part number and it is no longer on the Mantec website - so it could be NLA. Not sure - you're going to have to call them to get the definitive answer.

On the positive side, Rovers North does have the bumper in stock. It's called the Mantec Camel Trophy style winch bumper, part number RNA7403 priced at $499 + shipping.

I also took a few more pictures of the bumper to show the clearance with the winch and the AC compressor area. Apologies in advance for the crappy cellphone camera pics.
Just double checked with RN. Camel Trophy bumper that accepts Warn winches is RNA7403 @$499 and that accepts Husky 8/10 is RNA7402 @$549.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yep...I put one on my truck a little while ago...pics somewhere in my build thread...and then some..LOL..
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ound-the-world
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:

Arjun, thank you for doing a little research and posting those extra photos. But I have to say, I'm still confused. The bumper on your truck is not the RNA7402 as pictured on the Rovers North website. Please look at the photo attachment to see the differences. The photo, from the Rovers North website, is of the RNA7403, but the differences I pointed out are the same on the RNA7402. I like the bumper on your truck much better than the bumper that I'm seeing on the Rovers North site.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RNA7403.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	51047  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have the Mantec bumper, the Husky 10, and the Brownchurch brush guard. What do you want to know? There are some pictures in one of my Flickr sets:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7624439341628/

If you are in LA, John Lee of Expedition Exchange has the same setup on his 97 down in Torrance.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I have the Mantec bumper, the Husky 10, and the Brownchurch brush guard. What do you want to know? . . . If you are in LA, John Lee of Expedition Exchange has the same setup on his 97 down in Torrance.
Hi Chris, thanks for chiming in. I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the rectangular tubes under each front corner of the winch tray for? Are they meant for the "tongue" of a Hi-Lift jack?

2. Does the bumper come pre-drilled for the Dixon-Bate jaws or did you drill those holes yourself?

3. If Arjun's bumper isn't a Mantec, what kind is it and where can I get one?

Your setup looks pretty cool. It also looks to be the only off-the-shelf option currently available for a D-90 with A/C and a Husky 10. (There may be a tube-bumper option out there somewhere, but that's not what I'm looking for.)
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

1. I don't own a Hi-Lift but I'm pretty sure that's what they're for.

2. No. I drilled them myself with a step bit, a hand drill, and a lot of patience and elbow grease.

3. I have no idea. I don't know Arjun.

The Mantec bumper is, quite honestly, kind of a piece of shit. You have to love the Camel Trophy look to think that it's a great bumper. The steel is reasonably thick but the bumper is not boxed in and the ends can bend when you hit them hard. The tray for the Husky 10, while specifically designed for it, needs a little more of a cut-out on the side of the solenoid. With the solenoid cover screwed on, the only way to access the solenoid is to remove the entire winch. I cheated by only using the top screw to hold the cover on, in case I need to easily access the solenoid in the future.

Mantec products are kind of known for their shitty paint quality. It's not laid on very thickly.

Someday I will pull of my Mantec and have the ends boxed in, and repaint it with a much thicker coat of semi-gloss.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding View Post
It also looks to be the only off-the-shelf option currently available for a D-90 with A/C and a Husky 10.

If you have a NAS D90 then you do not have an A/C grille, even if you have A/C. When they refer to the 'A/C Grill' they are talking about the extended grille that sits forward of the wings by a couple of inches as fitted to NAS 110s and similar (Check out the link in Post #1 and look at the grille fitted to the truck in the bigger pic. Thats what they call a truck 'with A/C'). The NAS 90 has a standard grille that sits flush with the wings even with A/C fitted.

They typically refer to bumpers in 3 different fitment options:

1. Extreme Approach or something similar. Means you will have to cut the grille to mount a winch but it sticks out the least for the best approach angle. Can't do this on an A/C equipped NAS 90 due to the condenser and cooling fan just behind the grille or the Auto Trans Cooler on a 97.
2. Standard or Non-A/C. Means it fits a standard flush grill such as the NAS 90 without any cutting needed. Sits a bit further forward than #1 and decreases approach angle slightly. You can fit this if yours is a NAS or other truck with a flush/standard grille.
3. A/C. Means the extended grill I mentioned above. Bumper sits further out to allow the winch to sit in front of the extended grill.

So if you can find the bumper you're after in a Non-A/C (#2) version you should be good to go.

If you have a ROW 90 and you're not sure, post up a pic of the front of your truck and we'll tell you what you have.

HTH

Ian
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post

If you have a NAS D90 then you do not have an A/C grille, even if you have A/C. When they refer to the 'A/C Grill' they are talking about the extended grille that sits forward of the wings by a couple of inches as fitted to NAS 110s and similar . . . The NAS 90 has a standard grille that sits flush with the wings even with A/C fitted.
Ian, thanks so much for that. It's a hugely important bit of information. I have the flush grille, which opens up the field a lot. Again, my thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The Mantec bumper is, quite honestly, kind of a piece of shit . . .
And thank you, sir, for that frank assessment of the Mantec bumper.

It looks like I'll be ordering the Terrafirma bumper.

Thanks everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, mantec, winch