Mantec Vs. Rockware Tire Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Mantec Vs. Rockware Tire Carrier

I'm really on a toss up and can't decide. My rear door (it's an SW)is rattling like crazy and creaking.. it's time to finally get the tire off it. I want to put a carrier but can't decide btw. the two. I was hoping to get some input from everyone on their experiences. I know they are both good products from the other threads I've read but I was hoping to get "what's it like to live with" type feedback. Here are my concerns with both:

Mantec:
-Drilling the body and cross member (I really don't like drilling the car)
-With the removal of the bumper, I need to add. fuel tank skid plate, trailer hitch, bumperettes increasing the cost
- This is a guess but probably accepts a smaller tire

Rockware:
- whoa it's expensive (but makes more sense when you consider that it covers the corners so I don't have to buy bumperettes)
- 2 stage opening process
- (From other threads) Chance of rattling?
- Still need to get a trailer hitch

With rockware.. how have people modified their tailgates to remove the three spokes?

Thanks for any input
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why do you have to remove your bumper for a Mantec?
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

You don't? I thought your did. Every single photo I've seen of the thing has the NAS rear bumper removed
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Nope. I put one on. Bumper stayed. They don't share mounts. No interference at all.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

7 years with the Mantec without issues. I don't remember a lot of drilling for installation. Just put some greasing nipples on articulations.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
No comparison IMO
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

The rattling that I get is pretty much just from the jerry can holders. Since they have the aluminium covers they produce most of the noise. I've been looking for a good rubber tie down system to use. The covers are neat in the sense that they can be locked, but I generally don't just tool around with the jerry cans. I have a bunch of dynamat all over in the holders to help guard from and rattling and that helped alot, but still cant take it all out without removing those metal can covers.

The bumper comes with 2 plates that sandwich the bumper. At first I thought one was supposed to go on the gas tank bulkhead side, but the bolts weren't long enough. And then it got me thinking about the gap between the bumper and the bulkhead. Well I put that plate in that gap it it stiffened it up alot. The bumper was actually flexing a bit there.

If I also would have kept my ST tire carrier hardware I would have modified the rubber stopper to contact the tire carrier which would really stop any movement. But I sold that, so I need to get a new one or make something.

I like mine, but yea it wasn't cheap.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Mantec ... you have to drill 2 holes where rivets are located in the capping. The lower portion bolts onto the cross member. Insert the lower bolt nut side up to avoid fowling the rear step.

The door plate covers the 3 holes from the old door mount carrier.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Keep in mind if your door is cracked inside, even with a Mantec it will rattle. I had mine rewelded. It didn't hold. I ended up fixing it with jb weld and covering it with dynamat. That fixed it.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

If you were also going to add bumperettes, would you still go Mantec considering that is integrated with the Rockware? I probably wouldn't get the jerry can holders..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, mantec, tire, tire carrier