Mantec Snorkel - Clean Install? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up Mantec Snorkel - Clean Install?

Thinking about getting a Mantec raised air intake to mitigate dust on the SoCal trails, and for Moab in September. I'd like to be able to remove it when not on the trail, and bring the D90 back to its original condition.

My question: any drilling, cutting, or other permenant modification done during the install? Any other issues to be aware of?

Searched the forum, web, and emailed Mantec for install instructions for the NAS version to answer this, but no luck.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Paul,
I just installed one last Sept on my '97

1. I got a used air canister horn and cut off the tip. I left 1.5" of the horn on the faceplate so the hoseclamp has something to hold onto.

2. I had to move my windshield washer bottle down 3" on the inside of the galvanized wheel well.
(I drilled 3 holes in the wheel well to move the bottle)

3. You remove and store the wingtop vent cover

4. I keep the original air canister horn in the back of my car incase I need to use it rather than the raised air intake.

I can take some detailed images for you and post them later. You have to move the bottle to allow the hose to pass infront of the motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You will have to cut the trumpet section in half on the stock air cleaner box. Other than that, you can add and remove it at your will.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Perfect. Thanks guys -- That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Len - I would love some pics. I read your thread on the inline blower and saw some good pics there:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...91&postcount=1

If you have any other images please feel free to post--always great for reference.

Thanks again!
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
I removed the intake blower after a few days a playing with it - I got no better milage with or with out it. I may use the blower as an auxilary interior fan someday! (it movess a butt load of air fairly quietly). I will take some pics later in the day. I am still using that cheesy laundry dryer aluminum hose - I have the new factory rubber one - I was just going to see how long the $9 aluminum flex tubing held up.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Why bother with removing the entire snorkel? If you want to use it, just connect the hose to the air filter canister, when you don't want to use it, just disconnect it...

IMHO, installing/unistalling the snorkel tube along the roll bar would be a PITA...

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmm.... interesting install on that blower fan. I wonder if that may be useable in a setup to vent all the hot air from the engine compartment?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Cool Assistance needed with a Mantex snorkel install

All--

This is an old thread for a Mantec snorkel install on a 97 D90. Len alluded to moving some parts around e.g. washer bottle, though pics never got posted.

Has someone installed a Mantec on a 1997 cleanly? What needs to be moved and to where? I can't even begin to find all of the bolts that hold the washer bottle in place. I could move the fuse box up; I mean literally up so it's closer to the bonnet. I would need to do some jerry-rigging where the base of the fuse bracket bolts to the wheel well. Is this wise?

I have posted a pic of my truck's engine bay with some annotations. I'd love any and all ideas. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01404.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	21460  
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Bump. Anyone? Anyone?
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I sent you an e-mail.
Dendy
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

I have ZERO experience with raised air intakes but am considering getting one since I live in the desert. Why can't the intake be mounted on the passenger side and run straight to the the trumpet?
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nny216
I have ZERO experience with raised air intakes but am considering getting one since I live in the desert. Why can't the intake be mounted on the passenger side and run straight to the the trumpet?
It is hard to work around the heater and ducting.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

Makes sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mantec, snorkel