Mantec Raised Air Intake Install Pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Mantec Raised Air Intake Install Pics

Finally put the raised air intake on today. I'm just not sure if this thing is fitted correctly. It seems to stick up quite high and tilt oddly. The tilting seems to be a function of the way Mantec bent the tubing. I considered cutting a few inches off of the top tube but I wanted to get opinions on this first. Don't want to interfere with a future SD roof rack (...if ECR still has any to sell).

I'm also not sure if I routed the hose correctly. I don't like the way the hose sits against the stepper motor.

Input and suggestions welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7623426852839/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Looks like a mantec snorkel. Mine looks the same. It looks as if the upper pipe could be tweaked a bit nut it might just be the picture. Looks good.
And I love you too
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The more I look at it, the more ridiculous it looks. The bend at the top of the top pipe is wrong. It leaves the mushroom cap tilted forward. This couldn't be correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Chris - you can improve the look a lot by making sure the snorkel tube is parallel to the roll cage tube. You just have to ensure the mounting clip tabs are "in line" on both the snorkel tube and the cage. You can also lower the tube slightly on the cage - mine is adjusted so that the mushroom tip doesn't go any higher than the bed of the roof rack.

IIRC, mine has some forward lean to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yep, looks like you need to rotate the vertical snorkel tube a bit and that will turn the mushroom level. Your flex tubing should be long enough to route in front of the plenum - mine was.

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Chris,

I think mine is a Mantec also but routed through the side. I do not have a cage. It is bolted to the windscreen. I am at work so I can't post pics. Just look at this page to compare.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=21725

Mine is parallel to the windscreen but is out a little farther towards the bottom because of the windscreen hinge. That seems to line it up ok. Is your cage parallel to the windscreen? Maybe that is what is throwing it off? As to the height, mine sticks up pretty high too.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
has anyone found a solution to get rid of all that dryer hose running through the engine compartment? Ive always thought that looked like shit.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
has anyone found a solution to get rid of all that dryer hose running through the engine compartment? Ive always thought that looked like shit.
The solution is keeping the hood/bonnet closed when people are around.

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How else are you going to get air to the intake? You can't put the snorkel on the right side, and you can't reverse the air filter canister. Unfortunately the NAS 90s with the 3.9/4.0 don't take aesthetic snorkel tubing very well.

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I agree. The hose looks awful and I'm not so sure that routing it in front of the plenum would help. Could someone routing it that way post pics for comparison?

I will try rotating the brackets and lowering the pipe. I'm still convinced that the bend in the pipe is wrong. It seems as if this pipe was designed for a Series without a roll cage.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

John Lee from EE has a nice clean install on a NAS truck but it looks like the information was removed from the EE site for some reason.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's a pic of the tube running in front of the plenum. I really don't care how it looks, it serves a function and I don't usually show off my motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	25571  

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yeah John Lee's write up was pretty nice, he had jammed a K@N into the snorkle top. I am not sure what happened to the write up but they took the majority of their tech section out.
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't think the hose running all over looks bad per se, but it is frustratingly and needlessly long. The best set-up I can envision would require a lot of work, but would involve creating a plenum which contained an air filter and connected directly to the intake under the wing, and led out directly to the air flow meter and into the intake plenum.

Naturally there would be many opportunities along the way to make it look worse than the long hose, but done right it could at least look good. Perhaps one of the flat, rectangular-element filters from a disco or another vehicle could be used.

Of course after all that, who knows whether the flow would be better or what not, so it might just be a big ass waste of time anyway.

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
This is my setup ( 97 ) , makes the engine compartment look cleaner .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6454.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	25572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6456.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	25573  

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm still convinced that the bend in the pipe is wrong. It seems as if this pipe was designed for a Series without a roll cage.
You're right about the bend. The vertical pipe is bent to the angle of the windscreen frame. The NAS roll cage has a slightly different angle. thus the odd angle at the top.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I like Jorge's routing but I don't think it would work on my 94.

I readjusted the upper pipe today and I think it looks a little better. The incorrect bend still pisses me off, though.

Here's what it looks like now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...n/photostream/

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2010 06:40 PM ------

I like the John Lee MAF/filter relocation but I don't think it would work on the 94. The coil would have to be relocated and the harness on the MAF is not long enough to make it over there. I have no idea if the MAF harness could be safely lengthened.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've always wondered how hard it would be to spin the intake plenum around 180 degrees, and also flip the MAF and air filter around as well. Some wiring and hose changes, a lengthened throttle cable, but I don't see any major problems that would prevent it from being done.

I do have to ask, Wolf, what are you using for the tubing between the plenum and MAF? Mine's pretty screwed up right now, and I'm going to be replacing the duct tape with some fiberglass and west-system resin when I get a chance. But yours looks nicer.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Chris - FWIW - looks nearly identical to the angle on mine. Mantec on 97D90 with SD rack.

Jason
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

I do have to ask, Wolf, what are you using for the tubing between the plenum and MAF? Mine's pretty screwed up right now, and I'm going to be replacing the duct tape with some fiberglass and west-system resin when I get a chance. But yours looks nicer.

-Hans
Yeah, that tube crumbled to dust, so instead of spending $150 on a new one I used some crushproof 2 3/4" flex tubing I had left over from another project.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake, mantec