Mantec Raised Air Intake Install Pics - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Here are the only shots of mine I can find. You can make it look right with some tweeking.

Also, the big main tube on mine seems to start closer toward the middle of the truck and then work its way out toward the edge as it goes up. Hard to explain, but it doesn't run parallel with the front window roll cage frame. Look close at the pictures and you can see what I mean. If you look straight at the truck, the pipe is straight up and down, whereas the front window roll cage angles inward as it goes up.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2010 10:39 PM ------

Also, I got another "trumpet" out of a junkyard Range Rover Classic to use. I don't run that RIA all the time, only when it's dusty or off road. I unclip the one with the RAI and lay it to the side in there, and clip the original style one back on. I think that the truck actually runs better with the regular trumpet, but it might be just me. But, either way, it takes one minute to switch them out.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I originally had the pipe running like Shawn's, closer in at the bottom and further out at the top. After adjustment, it follows the line of the roll cage closely. I just had to tweak the rotation of that pipe to get the cap to look right. Well, as right as it will look with that stupid bend.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Yeah, the only way I could get it to look level was to do it outward at the top, with the pipe sort of twisted back in. I may have even put that mushroom on a little crooked to help it look level too. It still is a cool accessory, I really like the whoosh sound it makes when you turn the truck off! Everyone thinks your truck will go underwater, and you will eventually quit explaining the whole ECU/electronics issue and just smile.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

22 posts on how to put on a raised air intake and angle it so it looks pretty. Go get it dirty or waterproof some other important parts so you can actually use it.

This is the part where I tell you that I am very sarcastic and can dish it out as well as take it. Soooooooo,
take off your dress and man up.
And I love you too
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:01 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Everybody knows that a crooked RAI might make a girl think twice about tossing panties on the windshield!

97 D90 SW
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer View Post
Everybody knows that a crooked RAI might make a girl think twice about tossing panties on the windshield!
True, but the forward tilt might help to hook them and keep them attached.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
22 posts on how to put on a raised air intake and angle it so it looks pretty. Go get it dirty or waterproof some other important parts so you can actually use it.
Amen brother, preach it!

Semper Fi!
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

John Lee has some great pictures of how he did the install for his by removing the air filter can all together, and running an inline filter, that allowed him to swing the MAF back toward the left wing. I did I quick look on the EE site but couldn't find it, it may have been in the old K&N filter sections when they sold more variety.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I recall that EE had a tech section but I can't find it anywhere either.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's still on archive.org but most of the pictures are missing. It's good stuff but not that applicable to a 94 truck. It would require relocating the coil and extending the harness on the MAF.
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
has anyone found a solution to get rid of all that dryer hose running through the engine compartment? Ive always thought that looked like shit.
Yah, don't by a Mantec snorkel. They do look pretty bad, IMO. The way Southdown do it is much cleaner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake, mantec