Mantec Fuel Tank Install on a NAS 110? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Mantec Fuel Tank Install on a NAS 110?

Has anyone installed a Mantec fuel tank guard on a 93 NAS 110? I emailed Rovers North who then asked Mantec if the currently offered fuel tank guard was a straight forward installation. The response was in (in summary) that "some modification" was needed. Not the kind of answer I was looking for. Does anyone know what mods are needed?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Have you bought it yet?
My experience with Mantec sliders was very unimpressive. Poor support, thin and weak. When hit from the side (rollover) they were both throwaways. I assume the same quality is in their gas tank shields but I could be wrong.
Another thought is that Mantec must be imported from the UK so you have additional shipping and currency issues built into the price.
I'd suggest (without knowing if they offer 110 items)

rockware.net
and search the net for other offerings.

Clark
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Thanks for the input. Per your suggestion I check Rockware but there wasn't a fuel tank guard shown. A general internet search for a 110 tank guard only turned up Mantec. I believe Safety Devices made one quite a while ago but it appears the re-formed company is only making roll cages.

Thanks.

Follow-up Post:

Clark, sorry I did not answer your first question, no I have not bought it yet. I need to determine how much additional work is needed before investing the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2009, 12:44 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Slickrock used to make one which I installed on my d90- but i dont think they make it anymore..
However i believe that southdown makes one for defenders- check Atlantic British..
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I've not heard of one mantec fuel tank guard that didn't need some fettling and persuasion to fit properly.

A friend of mine in the Falklands fitted a Td5 guard to his Td5 110, and had so much trouble with it (trying to fit) and numerous emails with mantec, and posting pictures of it on LR4x4 (not slating them off either) that they outright refused to deal with him anymore, calling him a "trouble maker", so you can get an idea of their customer support!

I've got an old 200Tdi guard on my Td5... had to cut and weld the support brackets in a different position, but i also modified the front end to fit around my NATO hitch, so i wasn't bothered about butchering it up at all.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
I've not heard of one mantec fuel tank guard that didn't need some fettling and persuasion to fit properly.

A friend of mine in the Falklands fitted a Td5 guard to his Td5 110, and had so much trouble with it (trying to fit) and numerous emails with mantec, and posting pictures of it on LR4x4 (not slating them off either) that they outright refused to deal with him anymore, calling him a "trouble maker", so you can get an idea of their customer support!

I've got an old 200Tdi guard on my Td5... had to cut and weld the support brackets in a different position, but i also modified the front end to fit around my NATO hitch, so i wasn't bothered about butchering it up at all.
You have to keep in mind that these trucks are hand made by extremely retarded people. I have found areas of my truck to be 7/16 off from the other side. I have also found welds that I could not have done so poorly if I tried. The inside of the frames are appaling. I found a bolt and a washer on the bottom of my oilpan and George at RDS said thats pretty much normal.

Point being, how do you make an aftermarket bolt on to a truck made like a snowflake? I would suggest no matter what you buy, be prepared to ream out holes and BFH it into place.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Point being, how do you make an aftermarket bolt on to a truck made like a snowflake?
Awesome.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Richard.......

I'd call Rockware. Their website is crap and I think they have other items not shown.

Follow-up Post:

Forgot to add that Rockware makes excellent stuff and are very good guys to deal with. It is just their site that needs work.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:25 AM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Thanks for the comments and input. Disappointed to hear about the poor quality stories on Mantec. I have a rear tire carrier from them, it installed without problem and has worked well for two plus years so I was assuming the other products would be similar quality. I will search some more, and check out Rockware and Southdown.

Again thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, fuel, fuel tank, mantec, nas, nas 110