Mann ProVent - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Smile

Yeah,got it 2 days ago finally!
Looks good...uhm,big!

I just need to get the hoses and a couple of bolts, and cut my bracket out of a alu sheet I have...then
find the right spot in the engine bay...

And...

...I just noticed a check valve is recommended and I have none!

(OUFF!)
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Smile

Fitted

http://www.whitedogrover.com/oil_separator.htm
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Great, another extra goodie that I suddenly want to install. Sure, I may ONLY have the V8, but it would likely help with my oil consumption problems. I tend to collect a lot in the plenum.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

resurrecting this thread...

Ryan how did this end up working out?

What is the need for the return line check valve if it is mounted high enough?

cheers!
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'll be watching the results on this with interest. New problem I didn't even know existed.

Ryan, can I get a pick of your snorkel hose routing? Mine is too long, and I'm interested to see how it could be trimmed to better fit. Does that hose work cut at any rib? (that's what I have)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

This is a big issue with my VW tdi... Finally getting around to dealing with it on the defender. The provent seems to be the best solution.

I noticed recently that I get more oil build up form around town trips when it never gets fully warm.
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:55 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Sorry for the slow reply. We have a newborn in the house so that's really affected the available time I have. Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep up with this board like I use to.

Anyway, this did spur me to take a look at how the ProVent is doing since I haven't checked it since it was installed a couple of years ago. It has about 10k miles on it. I first disconnected the inlet hose to the ProVent which comes from the stock breather/separator that I retained in the system. There was evidence of oil in the bottom of this hose. I then removed the outlet hose from the ProVent. It was completely dry - so it's definitely working.

Mann actually recommends using the check valve when your drain line is "above" the sump oil level. The check valve may actually work a little different than you would think. It's held closed by the vacuum in the ProVent when the engine is running. When the engine is shut off and the vacuum dissipates, the collected oil column head pressure opens the valve and allows it to flow back into the engine. I haven't noticed any issues with this such as oil backed up into the ProVent.

Mark - not sure which hose you're referring to. I don't have a snorkel.
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I'll be installing one of these on the 300tdi.

Here's a current & less expensive vendor than the one mentioned previously.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advan...r28tb1&x=0&y=0

Any updates on this old thread?
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I'll be installing one of these on the 300tdi.

Here's a current & less expensive vendor than the one mentioned previously.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advan...r28tb1&x=0&y=0

Any updates on this old thread?
I'm on this also, tired of the oil drop on parking.

How are the feedbacks for the Mann ProVent 200 ?

cheers
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Mine keeps doing its job...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:28 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Mine keeps doing its job...
Do you have a sketch of your plumbing ? nothing fancy, just to have an idea.
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I never did one, sorry, just the few pics on my site.
It's quite simple though to figure out.

I may try and scribble something for you but won't be able to do that before a week
Try AULRO, there's plenty of installation how-tos...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
I may try and scribble something for you but won't be able to do that before a week
I'll wait, I trust you better
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
LOL,

okay I'll take some pics for you as soon as I'll have the chance,
but check AULRO really, it's where it all started

My friend Ben wrote a lot about the Provent, there's plenty for a good informative read.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I am considering a ProVent 200 to protect my recently installed VNT. What is the main difference between the ProVent and the Allisport oil cooler? A removable filter? Looks like some parts and fabrication is necessary to make the ProVent work with a 300tdi. For those who have installed it on a 300tdi, what did you use to plumb it into the rocker cover? Did you fabricate a new hose mount? Anyone care to share photos of their 300tdi install?
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The Pro vent is simply a device to reduce oil vapor from going into the air intake. There is no oil cooling effect to it.
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Understood. So the Allisport cools but does not necessarily prevent oil vapors from going into the turbo? It's just a larger version of the stock version? Did you end up installing one, Dennis?
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Yes, I installed one. I'll post some pic's later today. I'm nor familiar with the Allisport unit.
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So for a 300tdi install (correct me if I'm wrong) here's whats needed:

• Provent 200 (3931070550). Found it here for $118.64.
• Oil Separator Element (3931050950). (included with Provent 200).
• Check Valve (2400843621). Found it here for $25.76
• O-seal (2307932101).
• Rocker Cover Mount (Fabricate).
• Mounting Bracket (looks like it comes with the mount?).
• Various hoses (reducers) and clamps.

Anything else?
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I made a bracket to mount onto the blank AC mount by the IP.

We also have an '06 Liberty w/ a 2.8 CRD (diesel) It has a very poor factory CCV (diesel PVC ... sorta ... similar to the Tdi factory separator). The ProVent (PV) in it wrings out a lot of oil because for now I have it go into a capture bottle, sometimes as much as 2 oz. per 1000 miles.

I don't use the check valve as the existing Tdi system doesn't use one. I leave the Tdi separator in place and tie it's plumbing into it and the PV's return drain line to the oil pan/block via a 3/8 or 1/2 inch "T" connector.

If and when you build a mount like mine, I'd keep the distance from the AC mount to PV mount hole center to 3.5". The PV bracket itself has height adjustment. If you mount it too high the top will hit your bonnet and you want to mount it low enough so that the flow from the Tdi vent is higher than the PV.

On another note I saw your post about mounting your engine mounts to the frame. The thing to check before welding the mounts to the frame is the elevation of the engine fan in the radiator cowl. Make sure it's centered (elevation) before you attach the mounts to the frame. I ended up welding mine about 1/2 " low because the kit did not show an elevation for the mounts. Basically I'd say that the bottom of the mounts (those pointed things) need to be welded onto the frame so those tips are fully welded on the frame. On mine, which is wrong, those tips hang below the frame by about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. My fan doesn't rub the bottom of the cowl and never has, but it would be better if it was a little higher.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions