Mallory Unilite Distributor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mallory Unilite Distributor

I just ordered a Mallory unilite distributor and a ballast resistor. Is anyone else running this set up and if so, what coil are you using? I am going to start with stock and possibly try a different coil. I am switching distributors due to a strange wear issue with rotors and noise, so there is no issues with sparks or coils. The promaster coil is about $70 so I thought I would hold off until I tried the stock coil. I won't miss having the crappy ignition module, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Stock ignition coil should be fine, just make sure that you don't accidently have 2 ballast resistors in it. Also, there are some cautions I've found with the unilite, it's sensitive to voltage spikes, so get a volt-meter in there and make sure that everything is getting the right voltages.

Read up on this article, some good info on wiring and such for the mallory and some cautions for it.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/unitest.asp

Also, since you probably need to swap the drive gear, here is the link to RPI's page with their mallory info. You'll see the difference when you get the distributor, the change is needed to mate up between the different types of oil pump drives. If you're using the drive gear off your old distributor, just ignore the piece about drilling holes, but you still need to chop the end off the shaft.

http://www.v8engines.com/faq-mall.htm

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Hans, in the stock set up, is there typically a ballast resistor? I will check it out, but if you know off the top of your head.... ('94 D90 3.9)

Also, when reusing the existing drive gear, do you use shims to get that 5-8 thou. clearance they talk about or are the holes pretty well already aligned?

Thanks for the insight.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I THINK there is one, but not 100% certain if that's what it is. There is a little silver cannister looking thing co-located with my ignition coil, but I just got to work and don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me right now to confirm if that's what it is.

Also, the clearance should be fine with the factory gear. They're all done to the same specs, in theory. But it's never a bad thing to confirm it anyways.

-Hans

Old April 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am fairly certain that the silver thing is the condenser. It has one wire coming out and the housing is grounded to the chasis, right? The ballast resistor would be in series with the ignition wire and I don't see one. I will take some volt readings, however. Thanks for all the advice--if you think of anything else, please let me know.
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, just thought of one other thing. Mallory has an optional cap for the Unilites that has HEI style wire connections (The ones that look like spark plug tops), and it has a hold-down as part of it. You would need new wires, but they sure do stay in place better than the socket type.

I still haven't gotten my own unilite yet, I keep coming up with other issues that are more important such as the knife holes in my spare tire that I never noticed.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor