Mallory unilite coil dead - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304
Mallory unilite coil dead

Ive installed a Mallory unilite distributor and coil in my truck, from what I had read it appeared that I would not need to purchase a ballast resistor or anything else. So I just installed the pair... The first coil lasted about three weeks then died, the second one was second hand off a buddy and died in a week... Both times the truck was running at low rpm and just cut out...
So any suggestions?
Do I need a ballast resistor, do I need a power conditioner?
Some grumblings have mentioned the alternatoras the source of my woes... What say the gods... More poor truck is stranded at Walmart. I told my wife it was like bringing a victoria secret model to hooters...

Old December 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90
I don't have an answer but a question. I am trying to install a Mallory in my RRC 3.9, did you have a "hot" wire going to the coil from somewhere on the truck? The reason I ask is that because the OE distributor is magnetic and the Mallory has the optical eye the coil would need power from somewhere (12v) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions