Mallory UNILITE - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Mallory UNILITE

Hey everyone,

For those of you who are running the Mallory UNILITE distributor (particularly part #4768901), did you modify its advance curve? And if you bought the one from somewhere else, do you know if they modify them? I got mine from Amazon.com, so I'm assuming it's about as stock as it comes...

Long story short, I'm troubleshooting a higher-than-normal (~210-220 deg. F) engine temp issue that occurs >2200 RPM and I'm now suspecting that it's a timing advance issue. My base timing is 6 degrees BTDC. Looking at the RRC 3.9 shop manual, I should be getting 6-8 degrees @1800 RPM and 5-8 degrees @2200 RPM... I'm getting 12 and 18 degrees respectively. The D90 manual seems to just leave this stuff out so I guess it doesn't apply??

Any insight on the advance curve requirements of the 3.9 and/or your experience with the UNILITE's advance curve would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have $10 that says your radiator is partially clogged.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Travis it would really suck if Ron is correct however check this:http://www.v8engines.com/faq-mall.htm#internal

I bought my mallory from RPI already set up and was the best bolt on I did to my V8 even if it turns out that ron is right and i think he is the mallory is worth fitting.

regards
Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Not to hijack but it is so easy to take the D90 radiator out, it should be as normal maintenance as changing plugs or wires. Getting the rest of the system flushed out might not be so easy.

Is the Mallory really all that great? Hotter plugs and leaner fuel would make more heat?
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Travis

While this doesn't answer your question (because I have no idea) I'm curious about which mods RPI made to the Mallory Unilite that seemed to make such a difference.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Also verify that the timing marks on your balancer are correct. They are known to have accuracy issues, mine was about 6 degrees off from reality. Also don't forget to do your timing adjustments with the vacuum advance disconnected. I didn't make any changes to mine internally, except for swapping in the newer style e-spark module. (which I used the alternate wiring schematic that comes with the e-spark instructions).

Looking at the modification page on RPI's website, all the modifications they discuss seem to be applied to the dual-point distributor, not necessarily the unilite.

I'd pull it back 2-3 degrees from where it is now and see what happens.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
I have $10 that says your radiator is partially clogged.
True, I have the typical symptom, but just three months before this started happening I had installed a new genuine LR radiator... I never had a problem until after I put in the Mallory (though that was also when the weather got hot). And for those curious, I only bought the Mallory because the original Lucas unit packed-in.

I just flushed the whole system again last weekend and sprayed high-pressure water through the radiator without issue. I even flushed the old coolant out with air and vacuum-filled it with the blue BMW stuff (why not... nothing else has done anything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I'd pull it back 2-3 degrees from where it is now and see what happens.
I also tried this without any change in behavior. I might resort to double-checking the timing mark, because there's not much else to do!

I'm still curious about the optimum advance curve (or tolerances) for the 3.9. And/or if my measured timing at 2200 might indeed be way off and thus causing my problem.

Thanks!
Travis
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

was it 2200rpm at speed? or 2200rpm sitting still?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
was it 2200rpm at speed?
At speed. Currently the vacuum advance is completely disabled, because even at a minimum setting, I'd still hear knocking on some occasions.

Quote:
http://www.v8engines.com/faq-mall.htm#internal

I bought my mallory from RPI already set up and was the best bolt on I did to my V8 even if it turns out that ron is right and i think he is the mallory is worth fitting.
Back to this one: That's interesting. Their wording in the yellow box seems to indicate that they set the ceiling 8-10 degrees lower if it's not set for LPG, yet further down the page they say 34-36 degrees provides good performance! Perhaps the 34-36 figure assumes LPG?

I'm tempted to borrow a Lucas and at least confirm (or refute) my suspicion, then get the adjustment kit if confirmed.

Travis
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Travis drop a mail to chris @ RPI on their contacts page he is a mine of info and a very nice chap.

regards

Gren
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
Hi Travis drop a mail to chris @ RPI on their contacts page he is a mine of info and a very nice chap.
Thanks! I'll give him a try. Hopefully he has time to email me back, because I couldn't fit much into 150 characters on their form (and also include things like "thank you").

Best,
Travis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions