Mallory Distributor help needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2014, 08:30 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Mallory Distributor help needed

Hi All. I'm back at it, working on my '94 D90.

A year or two ago I came to the determination that I needed to replace the distributor. I chose to go with a Mallory. A friend of mine helped me swap out the gear. I think I forgot to add this washer (see image). A year later, I have no idea if it existed, or if I misplaced it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last year I had some links to sites that walked me/buddy through swapping out the gear, which involved drilling the hole. Does anyone have that link? Yes, I searched like crazy before posting.

Thanks everyone! I'm psyched to be back at it. Dying to have this thing cruising soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dizzy.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	97764  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2014, 09:53 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I'm guessing it was the dead link from post #7. Maybe one of the San Diego guys has it in hard copy. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14742 Also, Rij just put one on his truck. Maybe he can chime in. -Jeff

I drilled the gear hole ... Don't follow our method ... Do it properly ... A pedestal drill is needed.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:31 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

I think I found a link that will help... http://www.v8engines.com/faq-mall.htm#internal
I need to figure out the thickness of the washer above the gear.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2014, 11:46 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

The image in this link might show that it didn't have a washer... this is killing me. Any risk of installing without the washer?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8832KA
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I'm guessing it was the dead link from post #7. Maybe one of the San Diego guys has it in hard copy.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14742

Also, Rij just put one on his truck. Maybe he can chime in.

-Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Good thinking. I emailed the San Diego guys. I appreciate the help. Hoping they write back while I'm still focused on this project..haha.

Anyone else? Thrust washer for a 94 D90?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Update from our west coast friends at Rover Works:
Steve,
The newsletter is from Oct/Dec 2007. Vol. 9, No. 4.

The washer (shim) is 0.020 thick. Also, don’t use the Mallory coil. We have had issues with these. Use the stock coil and the ballast resistor.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Update from our west coast friends at Rover Works: Steve, The newsletter is from Oct/Dec 2007. Vol. 9, No. 4. The washer (shim) is 0.020 thick. Also, don’t use the Mallory coil. We have had issues with these. Use the stock coil and the ballast resistor.
Interesting about the stock coil and ballast resistor. I went thru a few Mallory coils including the upgraded/HD one with the aluminum fins. Not sure if I used a washer either. What would be the downside if not running one?
Old July 5th, 2014, 04:16 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

I've had the Mallory distributor and the matching Mallory Coil in my '95 3.5L D1 for several years now without any issues, other than frying the pick-up module thru my own fault. The beauty of the matching Mallory coil is an easier installation and no ballast resistor needed. I also installed the matching Mallory inline electronic filter to protect the pick-up module from electrical voltage spikes or surges.

NEVER use the "Engine Start" feature on a battery charger on a modern vehicle equipped with lots of computers and control modules. The raw power from the charger in the "Engine Start" position gives a very "dirty" electronic signal or spike that will fry anything delicate = your expensive ECM, etc. I am not an electrical engineer, but that is what was explained to me by one.....

I can get the Mallory part numbers and post them later this weekend.

Tim

'95 D1
'87 Defender 110 300Tdi
several 911s......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor