Mallory Distributor HELP! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90

Mallory Distributor HELP!

3.9 motor, swapping OE for Mallory unilite.

Issue: It will not start with the Mallory, but starts up fine with the OE back in

What Ive done:
I set the motor to TDC, removed the OE distributor marking where the rotor arm is in relationship to the motor. Next I installed the Mallory ensuring the rotor arm was lined up with the number one spark plug wire, Next I wired the three wires according to the instructions, red to the ballast resistor with a follow on wire (red) going to the positive side of the coil. The brown wire goes to the ground, and the green wire goes to the negative side of the coil. Finally, I try and fire it up with no luck, I have triple checked the wiring ensuring that it is correct, and I am positive the rotor arm is lined up correctly.

The only thing I not sure on is according to the Mallory instructions it has a 12v/ignition wire going to the ignition ballast resistor(I have no idea where this wire is) along with the red wire from the distributor, attached is a picture of what i am referring to. However, I have reinstalled the original distributor and it fires up with no issues.

Please let me know what I am missing or need to check.
Thanks in advance,
VB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mllry-ballast_resistor_wiring2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	62428  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

If you connected something wrong, you may have burned out the optical portion of the distributor.

Robert Deniro
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
If you connected something wrong, you may have burned out the optical portion of the distributor.

I thought of that but I was careful to make sure I didn't do that. Any idea what/where this "12v/ignition wire" in located?
Thanks
VB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Here are some pictures of the routing. Apologies in advance. New iPhone user and I'm sure the pics will be haywire in their orientation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2136862210.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	62441   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-283544556.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	62443  

Name:	image-4066546338.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	508.2 KB
ID:	62444   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1945209454.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	62445  

Name:	image-4167098499.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	62446   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3880840144.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	62447  

Name:	image-1550227692.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	62448  
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Verner,
Take a close look at the wire labeled "ECU" on the instructions. The wire they are identifying supplies the RPM signal to the ECU not the tachometer. The truck will not start or run without that signal.
I think that's your problem. I've run the Mallory unit for several years it proven to be trouble free.
Mike
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Although not following the Mallory schematic, from the pictures posted above, my truck is wired, from the factory harness to the coil, white wire to the ballast resister then continuing to the (+) side of the coil. The red wire to the (+) side. The green to the (-) side and the black wire from the bulkhead to the (-) side.
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Although not following the Mallory schematic, from the pictures posted above, my truck is wired, from the factory harness to the coil, white wire to the ballast resister then continuing to the (+) side of the coil. The red wire to the (+) side. The green to the (-) side and the black wire from the bulkhead to the (-) side.
Down_shift Thanks for the pics, I should clarify that it is a 3.9 from a RRC even though I don't think there is a difference between the D90 and the RRC 3.9, but I could be wrong.
What is that white and red wire coming from, are they both from the distributor? Because I would only have one wire from the distributor going to the +coil, along with the condensor wire.

[QUOTE Verner,
Take a close look at the wire labeled "ECU" on the instructions. The wire they are identifying supplies the RPM signal to the ECU not the tachometer. The truck will not start or run without that signal.
I think that's your problem. I've run the Mallory unit for several years it proven to be trouble free.
Mike [QUOTE

Mike- I think my "ECU" wire is coming from the MAF wire bundle (not from the MAF) if its not then I do not have a "ECU" wire, but it starts up with the old distributor so I believe it is the ECU wire. When I installed the Mallory I kept all unrelated wires connected, so I don't think thats the issue, but again I can be wrong.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
VB
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Just get the mallory no ballast coil, so easy.

Robert Deniro
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90

I think I found my issue. Because the OE distributor is magnetic it requires no 12v power, however, the Mallory uses an optic eye instead which would require power to the coil.

Question: How/where is a wire that connects to the battery but only comes on with the ignition, I think this is the wire I need to connect to the coil. It is a 1992 RRC with a 3.9, any help/comment is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
VB
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Verner Berry
Verner Berry
97 D90

Finished and running!!
FYI..For those that lack those necessary man skills in electronics (such as myself), if you don't use the existing wire bundle you have to splice a wire to the ignition wire to make your distributor run, I had no damn power going to it! I hope this helps someone in the future.

VB

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor