Making up steel braided lines... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Making up steel braided lines...

Any hints on how to get the end caps on steel braided lines? I am making up my own oil cooler lines and the Russell instructions are like "simply push with a twisting motion" ....eh ya right....

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I would recommend having a hydraulic shop crimp the fittings to your oil cooler lines.

Cheers...
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I've wrestled with these a few times...
My best advice is to find the Koul Tools AN Hose assembly tools. These are available from Summit, Jegs, etc. They make assembling AN hose a far less "prickly" affair.
You should also borrow or buy a Dremel with reinforced cut wheel attachment. Wrap the area to cut with two wraps of masking tape or strapping tape. Carefully and slowly cut thru the hose so you make as few fish hooks as possible. Gently unwrap the tape...dip the end in oil...shove mightily into Koul Tools assembly tool, twisting the hose as you go.
The smaller you go the more difficult it is to assemble. 4AN is a real pain and 3AN brake hose assembly...well, it is nearly impossible.
I could loan you my set of Koul Tools, but you'll have to wait until the weekend after next.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
I've wrestled with these a few times...
My best advice is to find the Koul Tools AN Hose assembly tools. These are available from Summit, Jegs, etc. They make assembling AN hose a far less "prickly" affair.
You should also borrow or buy a Dremel with reinforced cut wheel attachment. Wrap the area to cut with two wraps of masking tape or strapping tape. Carefully and slowly cut thru the hose so you make as few fish hooks as possible. Gently unwrap the tape...dip the end in oil...shove mightily into Koul Tools assembly tool, twisting the hose as you go.
The smaller you go the more difficult it is to assemble. 4AN is a real pain and 3AN brake hose assembly...well, it is nearly impossible.
I could loan you my set of Koul Tools, but you'll have to wait until the weekend after next.
Thanks. I saw those and was wondering whether it was worth the purchase. I have to grab some other stuff from Summit anyways so I might as well at least get the adapter for the 8AN, which is what I am working with.

B
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I recommend getting the specially made vise jaw grips to hold the fitting, then push and twist.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions