Making Aluminum Shiny - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Making Aluminum Shiny

Does anyone know a trick to make aluminum shiny? I was hopping for a chemical or cleaner of sorts. I don't have the time to polish / buff them out, and I really don't want them that shinny. Just new looking.

The valve cover on the right has been cleaned in chem dip. It is very clean but looks stained.

The valve cover on the left I bead blasted which is a huge improvement but not shiny like a new one.

I'm not looking for chrome shiny just new cast aluminum shiny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	40855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	40856  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Other than paint it require elbow grease. If you don't want to buff it and are not looking for a real shine , you might try; http://www.nevrdull.com/. It's cotton so it is easy to use and gets into the crevices.
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

I've seen my father use that on the aluminum fenders on his truck. I'll have to give it a try.

This is what I'm going for... Something like the bottom of the manifold that hasn't been exposed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	40857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

There is a better product called Wenol works great on about any metal.
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
if you aren't looing for a super polished finish, just use a buffing wheel on a good fast drill (after bead blasting). They should clean up fairly quick maybe 30 minutes per side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Does anyone know a trick to make aluminum shiny? I was hopping for a chemical or cleaner of sorts. I don't have the time to polish / buff them out, and I really don't want them that shinny. Just new looking.

The valve cover on the right has been cleaned in chem dip. It is very clean but looks stained.

The valve cover on the left I bead blasted which is a huge improvement but not shiny like a new one.

I'm not looking for chrome shiny just new cast aluminum shiny.
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

That Wenol stuff is suppose to be the shit been under the radar for years(?) untill recently. You could only find it at truck stops and motor cycle stores but now you can find it at most auto stores now. Also might want to check out the Garage Journal forum as they have some pretty simple ways of doing things and getting awesome results.
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I remember this company from a Speed channel episode... I've never used it, but it looks to be what you need.

http://www.sharkhide.com/acinfo.html

You might want to media blast the cover first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Have it soda blasted

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think you are looking for stuff called Alumabrite. Weak acid of sorts, works well for cleaning up castings. Bought some @ NAPA.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Problem is that he has already beadblasted one and chemically dipped the other, so cleaners are not really the answer. The only thing that will brighten will require either blasting with a finer abrasive and/or some type of buffing. The phosphoric acid ( Alumabrite) might work to some degree.
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Heat resistant paint or fine sanding.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mother's Aluminum Polish.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html

Nevermind, you don't want to polish.
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
I think you are looking for stuff called Alumabrite. Weak acid of sorts, works well for cleaning up castings. Bought some @ NAPA.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
X2 on that stuff. Cleans aluminum and also copper very well. But once you blast it you have altered the finish including any machine polish from the factory.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

I just got some stuff called "woody's" from marine store to polish my cobra wind sheild frame.
I was told its the best for this but I have not had time to try it yet.......but soon

Let us know what works!
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:53 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

So far I've come to the conclusion that the parts go under the hood of a rover. They are not meant to be shiny and clean, and if they were they won't stay that way for long. So why am I wasting my time with this? I'll let you know when I figure that out

I went to O'Reilly's and picked up some Mothers aluminum polish and to Napa and picked up the Aluminum Bright. Neither had the Wieneroil or whatever you call it. If I am able to find it I will try it later and report back.

First the Mothers. Don't waste your money unless your 22's have some brake dust on them. It's probably a good product but not for this application. I don't think it would work well on cast aluminum that isn't already polished.

Second the Aluminum Bright does work. While maybe not in the first application and maybe not in the 20-30 seconds it says on the bottle it does work. In the first pic I coated the Left half of the valve cover with the AB and it didn't do much with one application. It preforms very similar to the sharkhide based on the video. Probably similar chemicals.

In the second pic the valve cover on the right has been scrubbed (a lot) with the Aluminum Bright and a fine scotch bright pad. The valve cover on the left has been bead blasted.

The glass beads, however fine they may be, do change the texture of the surface. They make the aluminum cleaner and brighter than the Aluminum Bright with a lot less effort but they do open the pores up and this leaves a rougher finish which I feel in time would only attract dirt quicker and be harder to clean off. So tomorrow I will head out to find a buffer / polisher to see if I can close up the pores and bring it back to its Solihull glory.

Thanks for all the input!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	40860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	40861  

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	40862  
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'd hand that off to shopgirl. She can pretty much buff anything out. There is no substitute for hard work if you need to have shiny bits.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

Smooth how you changed GF to shop girl Just incase she's checking up on your post Or was that a freudian slip? I wonder if Steve's Wholesale carries ship girls on the same isle as the buffers. This thread is going down hill fast.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Back in my paintball days, when we had guns go out for anodizing, we would have them buffed as part of the initial process. Machining marks on the aluminum bodies down to perhaps 400 grit could be mirror polished.

The only way to get that "mirror polished" look was buffing wheels and successive levels of buffing compound. I saw photos of anolaze's buffing area and it's pretty serious. They sometimes blasted parts before buffing.

I've heard of electropolishing but that's for very fine polishing (like making hand-buffed components even more smooth)
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Smooth how you changed GF to shop girl Just incase she's checking up on your post Or was that a freudian slip? I wonder if Steve's Wholesale carries ship girls on the same isle as the buffers. This thread is going down hill fast.
yup ...that was a slip for sure.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Valve covers look good. Next time mine come off they are getting polished for sure as is Plenum. Good post thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum