major problem - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I don't run 35's, but when you run wheels with a wider backspacing, or just wider tires, you'll get tire rub on the flares during heavy articulation. Just trim where they hit. Problem solved. Also, when you add a lift, it doesn't stop your tires upward travel. You need longer bumpstops. That would probably solve your problem as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

longer bump stops help with bottoming out as in a jump... but they would have to be about 6" long to limit articulation... spring stack stops my up travel... i run 35 X10.50 ssr's with no rubbing even with a front 3 link... eyebrow trimming, inner fender trimming, OME 764 front and rear with a 1 " rear spacer, and 4.25" backspacing on the wheels allows this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8759  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Not sure what you were saying in that post, but what I was saying was by extending his bump stops to something like this: http://roversnorth.com/store/p-4916-...-extended.aspx it would stop his tires from going far enough upward during articulation to hit his fender flares. That way he wouldn't have to trim his eyebrows.

Of course trimming the eyebrows would be a better idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Not sure what you were saying in that post, but what I was saying was by extending his bump stops to something like this: http://roversnorth.com/store/p-4916-...-extended.aspx it would stop his tires from going far enough upward during articulation to hit his fender flares. That way he wouldn't have to trim his eyebrows.

Of course trimming the eyebrows would be a better idea.

Go flex out your rig and look at the bump stops... even with the extended ones... you're about 2" from axle to bump contact... they only come into play if you "bottom out" the suspention flat... comon misconception... especially on some of the jeep forums i frequent...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
longer bump stops help with bottoming out as in a jump... but they would have to be about 6" long to limit articulation... spring stack stops my up travel... i run 35 X10.50 ssr's with no rubbing even with a front 3 link... eyebrow trimming, inner fender trimming, OME 764 front and rear with a 1 " rear spacer, and 4.25" backspacing on the wheels allows this...
Please explain to me or give a pic. Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Go flex out your rig and look at the bump stops... even with the extended ones... you're about 2" from axle to bump contact... they only come into play if you "bottom out" the suspention flat... comon misconception... especially on some of the jeep forums i frequent...
Well that must be related to what spring rate you're running, right? What else would stop the axle from traveling that high? Couldn't be the shocks. Then if they "bottom out" off a jump the tops would blow off!

You very well could be right but if I recall, without my swaybars and running stock springs; my axles come very close to the bump stops. A 3.5" extended bump stop would certainly limit my uptravel a bit. I'm down at school so don't have my 90 at my disposal to check this though.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

sorry
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Lymans right. Articulation is different than flex.

Just trim off what gets hit. Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I hate to chime in after five pages of info and I'm fairly fresh to the Rover scene as well. Are your steering ball joints all good and solid and also look at your swivel pins while your CV's are out. I don't know the process for checking them. If this noise is a rotaional type thing then ignore my suggestion.

Follow-up Post:

Two more things. When your diff is out check your ring (crown) gear backlash. It should be between 0.004" and 0.007". You'll need a dial indicator to do this properly but it should feel like the thickness of a business card, at the most, if you don't have one. You said you had a ton of play in the pinion. That's Bad. Could be a set of pinion bearings gone sideways.

Also look at the bearings INSIDE your spindles. They should not be bad as they are usually well greased or oiled from the front diff if the seal is toast. Either way they are well cared for. Look at the drive axle where it runs on these bearings. Look for scoring, metal pickup or plucking, things like that. Put the axle and spindle together and see how much play you have there. If there is too much because of one or the other being worn then the axleshaft could wobble inside the spindle and the CV could clunk against the housing. The axle is only supported inside the diff, inside the spindle, and inside the front drive hub.

I hope you can find your problem. I myself hate problems, but sooner or later I embrace them as a learning experience. Never stop learning. Too bad they require problems.
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Well that must be related to what spring rate you're running, right? What else would stop the axle from traveling that high? Couldn't be the shocks. Then if they "bottom out" off a jump the tops would blow off!

You very well could be right but if I recall, without my swaybars and running stock springs; my axles come very close to the bump stops. A 3.5" extended bump stop would certainly limit my uptravel a bit. I'm down at school so don't have my 90 at my disposal to check this though.
with radius arms...binding in the axle bushings likely will be your limit... i ran the same tires and springs and no cutting or trimming at all before the 3-link. only rubbing i had ws at full stuff on the rear arches.

with no rubbing on the inner fender... and a 3-link... upward tavel will be limited by the coil to coil contact on the outside of your front springs... SPRING STACK.. my setup give's as much up travel as possible with 35" labeled (Measure 36") tires as you can get with a conventional coil spring. if you are running 12.5 tires... good luck.

a bump stop... if you actually get one long enough to stop the linear upward travel, it will still not stop inward travel of the top edge of the tire as the other side continues to drop out... this actually is the main problem that caused me to have to run 1" longer front upper links to get the trires out of hard contact footwells... and with these 6" bump stops you would be bottoming over every little dip in the pavement.......

these statements definately apply to my rig with 3" of net lift... and to my own trials and tribulations. and yes i prefer the shocks inside the springs, run front dislocation cones, and captured rear springs...
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Alright thanks for the explanation. When you get into changing suspension components, I can see how the bump stops would no longer limit your upward travel on your suspension setup.

With everything stock in the suspension and just adding springs and shocks to attain a lift, I'm still not convinced bump stops wouldn't solve his problem.

But it was just a suggestion for if he didn't want to trim. Really trimming would be the best way to go. That way you don't loose any travel at all.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
i didn't read all of the above drivel... but back off the parking brake adjuster and see if the "chunking noise" goes away... probably a bad inner sheath on the parking brake cable not totally realeasing the brake and lashing the drivetrain while coming to a stop... easy check is to see it the parking brake lever doesn't want to stay all the way down when released...kind of keeps popping back up a little = bad inner sheath... replace cable.

mine is doing it again as i type this...
Your the man! I would have taken the whole damn truck apart without checking the parking brake cable. Unhooked the cable and the noise is gone. Thanks a million. Sure sounded like the whole thing was falling apart.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

glad i could help... i've been breaking these things for a while now...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions