Major exhaust smell in my 90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:44 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Thanks. Are you saying this is the leak? It somewhere else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:57 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
I just had to track down an exhaust leak myself in my 110. The picture you posted, honestly looks like a leak point. The weep holes are not normally at joints of exhaust pipe. They are on flat areas, or low lying points in the system.

Another point is that you can normally hear an exhaust leak. It sounds like a pitter sound (check out a video on youtube, because I can't really type it phonetically).

Additionally, something that will clearly standout is a black soot mark coming out of the pipe (normally at a joint, a connection, etc.) Mostly due to loosened bolts, something jarred while offroading, etc.

Finally, smell and air movement. You could take a cotton swab and place it around the system while on. The stronger the smell, the closer you're getting to the leak. Then once you see the cotton swab, or whatever you use move, you can pinpoint the location. Sometimes the leak will be just that, as small as a pin-hole. But, due to your conditions noted, it's probably a bad connection between pipes, the manifold, or a rusting spot along the system or any spot where welding has been done.

I would get under the truck and check it out for a while. Definitely try and "hear" the leak. Once you hear it, you know. Then there are more than likely tale-tell signs of soot deposits at/near that location.

Hope that helps.

Old May 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Great info. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Anyone know what this vent is ? Between steering column and gas pedal, on lower dash. It's kicking our a lot of heat/air. Smell from engine too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2126565282.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	73598
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Anyone know what this vent is ? Between steering column and gas pedal, on lower dash. It's kicking our a lot of heat/air. Smell from engine too.
It is for the heater/fan. If you move the levers the air will go up to the dash defroster vents.

------ Follow up post added June 1st, 2013 08:18 PM ------

Open up the hood and see if the heater intake (the funny shaped thing on the top of the passenger side fender) is properly connected to the heater box (the big black thing on the side of the bulkhead).
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:28 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Guys. Disregard. I just realized after owning this truck for a year the vertical lever on left of the steering wheel controls this (somehow even if the lever to the right of the steeling wheel is "off"). I centered the left lever vertically and now it's not kicking out air anymore. I expected the right lever to override all the airflow. Guess not. All good now.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Let me clarify , still getting the exhaust smell. But this vent issue below steering column is resolved.
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I figure for the benefit of the forum should provide an update on the fix. When all was said and done the issue was pretty simple. The culprit was the small gap under the back window of my bestop. The bestop rear window does not meet flush to the tailgate due to shrinkage (insert Seinfeld joke)… and the fumes were kicking up - and into the cabin - in the low-pressure area produced behind a car when I drove. All I had to was extend the window w/ some fabric and problem solved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions