Maintenance for new truck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2016, 04:54 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Maintenance for new truck

While awaiting my new truck to arrive, I want to start procuring all maintenance items needed to help ensure a positive experience. Truck is a 91 D90 200 TDI.

Is the Pro Line branded stuff any good? Or should I buy OEM? I.E. Filters and valve cover gasket

Ill take any and all recommendations you have for me

1. Engine Oil - Shell Rotella 5W-40 - 6.7 liters
  2. Oil filter extra capacity (Rovers North ProLine OK?)
  3. Front and rear differential + transfer case fluid - 6 liters 75W-90 (Motul Gear 300)
  4. 2x magnetic drain plugs for differentials
  5. Transmission fluid - Redline MTL 3 quarts
  6. Transmission filter (LT77)
  7. Coolant
  8. Brake fluid - 2 liters DOT 4
  9. Timing belt kit (Rover North kit)
  10. Timing belt tool (pump and flywheel pin)
  11. Fuel filter (Rovers North ProLine OK?)
  12. Air filter (Rovers North ProLine OK?)
  13. Grease or 75W-90 for swivel balls
  14. Grease 6 driveshaft zerk fittings
  15. Valve cover gasket (check valve clearance .2mm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 05:23 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Number 13. Land Rover has a special swivel lube. The 75W-90 was specified for early Defenders but I think the consensus here is to use the special swivel lube.

There is a third party swivel lube (Britpart? Not sure) and I believe the consensus here is it's Okay and preferred to 75W-90.

Do you know how many miles are on the timing belt? Or do you not know or not trust the reported miles?

You will have fun! Pictures when you can.

Mike
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Agreed with above, I'd do a timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, cam and crank seals while you are I there.

All other fluids look fine except I wouldn't use syn in the diffs just regular gear oil seems to work fine for me but ymmv.

Aftermarket oil filter ph8a will also work but the capacity is a bit smaller then stock.

A 3/8 or.drill bit will work for the timing belt pump pin instead of the oem tool. You will also need a 3/8 click type and a 3/8 torque bar style torque wrenches to do the timing belt correctly.

You will need arp thread sealant or similar for the waterpump bolts and rtv silicone.
I use britpart/all makes for everything except for brake, timing and seals.

Trevor @ rovahfarm will have better prices than rn and is easy to deal with he has oem and aftermarket parts.

Lt77 filter is cleanable and does not have to be replaced

Use 5 year coolant (not dexcool) and an additive for diesel engines to keep water jacket rust at bay.

Since you are in NY, I'd also think about adding a block heater if you plan to drive during the winter.

Edit: an oil syringe or pump makes adding oil to the diffs and cases much easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lu.../dp/B000BQW5LK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:20 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Agreed with above, I'd do a timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, cam and crank seals while you are I there.

All other fluids look fine except I wouldn't use syn in the diffs just regular gear oil seems to work fine for me but ymmv.

Aftermarket oil filter ph8a will also work but the capacity is a bit smaller then stock.

A 3/8 or.drill bit will work for the timing belt pump pin instead of the oem tool. You will also need a 3/8 click type and a 3/8 torque bar style torque wrenches to do the timing belt correctly.

You will need arp thread sealant or similar for the waterpump bolts and rtv silicone.
I use britpart/all makes for everything except for brake, timing and seals.

Trevor @ rovahfarm will have better prices than rn and is easy to deal with he has oem and aftermarket parts.

Lt77 filter is cleanable and does not have to be replaced

Use 5 year coolant (not dexcool) and an additive for diesel engines to keep water jacket rust at bay.

Since you are in NY, I'd also think about adding a block heater if you plan to drive during the winter.

Edit: an oil syringe or pump makes adding oil to the diffs and cases much easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lu.../dp/B000BQW5LK
Cool thanks for the helpful advice. I didn't know about the diesel additive. I will also add the cam and crank seals to the list. I didn't know about Rovah Farm.

------ Follow up post added May 16th, 2016 07:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Number 13. Land Rover has a special swivel lube. The 75W-90 was specified for early Defenders but I think the consensus here is to use the special swivel lube.

There is a third party swivel lube (Britpart? Not sure) and I believe the consensus here is it's Okay and preferred to 75W-90.

Do you know how many miles are on the timing belt? Or do you not know or not trust the reported miles?

You will have fun! Pictures when you can.

Mike
Thanks. I see this swivel lube. I will grab it.

Not sure how many miles on the timing belt, better safe then sorry.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions