Main headlights switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Main headlights switch

My main beam headlight stalk switch is playing up. It only turns the main beams on if I push it forward beyond its normal position. The contacts seem to have gone inside at at the normal on position, but it works if I push it further in that direction.

Is this something I can fix by removing the switch or is replacement the solution?

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2015, 06:26 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
To tell you truth get a new switch and also get a headlight relay harness fitted, the harness is the next best thing to LEDs.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old October 19th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
My main beam headlight stalk switch is playing up. It only turns the main beams on if I push it forward beyond its normal position. The contacts seem to have gone inside at at the normal on position, but it works if I push it further in that direction.

Is this something I can fix by removing the switch or is replacement the solution?

Cheers,
John
Yup this is common issue - especially if you have upgraded lights like H4s. do some searches and you'll find a lot on this topic. OEM switches burned out on me twice and I replaced it with a toggle from the local hardware store that was a temporary fix that has lasted many many many years. A relay is on my "to do" list, but my toggle works

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

There is a ball bearing inside the switch mechanism, over time it wears down the ridges that give that click sound when you move the stalk. Like any other electrical item, genuine ($$$$) will hold up better but that stalk switch will always wear out no matter what. Its easy'ish to replace, way easier if you remove the steering wheel to get to the stalk fasteners(?). Think my Pops truck is on its third headlight stalk now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions