Defender Source Forum banner

Main Gearbox Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dbwitt 
#1 ·
I have a stupid question. I was checking the level of the transmission gear oil on my 95 SW and It poured gear oil all over the place. I have an r380 transmission. I used a torx ratchet to open it up. I assumed that since it was on the side rather high up it was not the drain. There is a large nut below that I thought was the drain plug. My first stupid question is could it have been filled to over capacity by the previous owner. Second question, if that was the drain plug. Where do I refill the gear oil? Any help would be great. :eek:

#2 ·
From what I remember when I had my 90 you fill through the torx head nut hole and drain through the lowest nut on the gearbox.
Use a gear oil hand pump available at local auto store. Also check owners manuel to make sure it is supposed to take gear oil and not ATF. Some manuel gear boxes took ATF instead of gear oil.

#3 ·
Kevin is right on the fill and drain hole, if you are not parked on level ground when you fill or check it, it is possible to overfill it. You also need to fill it with ATF, I use a bought a for the atf bottle that has a hose on it with a valve so you stick the hose in the hole and turn the bottle upside down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.