Magnaflow or NPR cats? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Magnaflow or NPR cats?

Wondering what the common wisdom is around here on the choice of after market cats. I previously had magnaflow on my truck but they are in rough shape at this point. Since my trans is out it seems like now would be the ideal time to replace the cats (and I assume O2 sensors).
I thought I read on here some guys on here had problems with NPR.
Any insights will be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id vote Catcos or Magnaflows. I had Magnaflows on my RRC for a while. the NRP is pretty expensive IMO that money can be spent on something more useful like Waxoyl or gasoline. IF you are able to get away with it have the cats removed totally, it will be a little louder but depending on the muffler you have bearable.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
NPR is National Public Radio. I think you mean NRP, the Rovers North house brand of exhaust.
I installed a complete system on the Loob about two years ago. I still have it and it is working. I don't think I would buy another.
I had no issues with fit.
I did have a problem with the cats. The right side began rattling. I called RN to report my problem and was told in so many words to get lost. The "lifetime" warranty is misleading in that it covers neither the cats nor the mufflers. This is not spelled out on the website and was not included with the parts when I installed them. I was displeased to say the least.
Others have reported fit problems. I don't know if RN addresses these issues to their satisfaction.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have the old, old NRP full exhaust, and it has been flawless... But, I've heard that the newer stuff is not up to the same quality standards that it was 10 years ago.

ECR is/was selling a full stainless exhaust. I think the price was close to 2K, but it was far superior to anything else on the market.

Old January 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I have never heard of Catcos. I found them on the web. Cost is not bad at the few places I found. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I had mine cut out a few ears ago and had a muffler shop weld new ones in. Not sure about most brands but I thought the only after market y pipe other than NRP was 97 specific.
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

DAP had an American made SS Cats and Y Pipe for around $550.00 Thats the route in a few months
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I really need the whole y pipe assembly with cats. What I have is not worth putting back on in its present state.

I found some on Atlantic British's site, on sale for 479.00
DAP for 595.00 all stainless
Also @ Performance Peddler and Summit racing Magnaflow for 537.00
Although I know Performance Peddler has codes that you can find to reduce the price at checkout. Anyone know where to find the codes?
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

code clubgp

clubgp
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

I just bought the Magnaflow exhaust and cat setup from Performance Peddler, and the exhaust was delivered on Friday. (The cat set is backordered for a few more days.) The way their site works is you "offer" a lowball price using the link on the listing, and then they email you back with their best price, allowed during final checkout with a discount code. I just looked to see if I still have the code they sent me, but I can't find the email. I got an answer back in just a few hours, though.

This set if for my 94, and I bought the same setup from PP (with a slightly different part number) on my 97 about a year ago and I've been very happy with it. The 97 had a Borla cat-back on it when I bought it and it's howl gave me a headache when driven at highway speeds. (And I fly H-60s for the Navy, so lets say it was loud and pretty much the resonant frequency of my skull.) My 94's exhaust is the stock one and has a few holes in it, and I can hear the cat matrix pieces rattling around. On the 97, I installed both, along with new O2 sensors, gaskets, studs, etc., and noticed an immediate improvement in running (and sound). Hopefully the same will happen with the 94, as it runs a little rough sometimes, and I know the cats are blocking flow as they are. Remember that 94-95s have (2) upstream O2 sensors and 97s have (4) for both upstream and downstream with OBDII.

The Magnaflow site listed part numbers for both the 94-95, the 97, and even 93 110s. In my case(s) the exhaust/cat kit part numbers were:
94 - 16711 & 93691
97 - 16711 & 93690

With both orders, the exhaust, direct fit cat system and shipping totaled about $835-850, and my recent order was actually cheaper by a little bit the the last one.

Good luck.
Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I would not recommend NRP

ECR does not do a mail order exhaust, if they had I would have purchased it. Instead I wound up with an NRP exhaust. You can read my thoughts on it here:

http://eurorestorations.com/Euro_Res...l_Exhaust.html
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I got a set of the CATCO's about 5 years ago, still doing fine. Some surface rust on them, but that's to be expected here on Long Island. Pipes are still solid and I'm still passing emissions every year with great numbers. Fit was spot-on. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another one if needed.

Now, the Flowmaster muffler I had behind the CATCO's, that's collapsed on me already.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I have the old, old NRP full exhaust, and it has been flawless... But, I've heard that the newer stuff is not up to the same quality standards that it was 10 years ago.

ECR is/was selling a full stainless exhaust. I think the price was close to 2K, but it was far superior to anything else on the market.
I don't have the time to risk it not fitting. So NRP is out. To bad because it looks like a nice system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebby View Post
clubgp
Thanks for the code. It works but they still don't have any in stock and neither does Magnaflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloBubba View Post
I just bought the Magnaflow exhaust and cat setup from Performance Peddler, and the exhaust was delivered on Friday. (The cat set is backordered for a few more days.)
Unfortunately they are still not in stock and the are expecting by the end on the month to be able to fill my order. I was leaning toward the Magnaflow but don't think it's worth the wait. I have to get my truck up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I got a set of the CATCO's about 5 years ago, still doing fine. Some surface rust on them, but that's to be expected here on Long Island. Pipes are still solid and I'm still passing emissions every year with great numbers. Fit was spot-on. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another one if needed.

Now, the Flowmaster muffler I had behind the CATCO's, that's collapsed on me already.

-Hans
Thanks for the Cato info and recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC View Post
DAP had an American made SS Cats and Y Pipe for around $550.00 Thats the route in a few months
I spoke with them at DAP. They have it in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks for all the information that everyone posted up!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions