Magnacore or Genuine ign wires? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

Magnacore or Genuine ign wires?

Need a new set and was wondering what the gurus recommend. I have a stock set up. Just replaced the cap and rotor with genuine and noticed the aftermarket wires don't fit snug and have some age on them. So Magnacore 7mm or Genuine spark plug wires and why? I've read the genuine ones degrade quicker but I typically run genuine parts in all my trucks since they tend to give better results.

Thanks -

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I run magnecore for everything, but the coil and for the coil I use the coil wire with the "boot".

My experience is that magnecore last a very long time (the set on my RRC has been on there for 8 years or so) but genuine only last a few years before degrading. I have used both successfully.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

ive had good luck with my kingsborne wires on my RRC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I ran Magnecor 8mm spark plug wires until a few years ago when the D90 caught on fire because the idiot shop mechanic put the wrong oil cooler gasket on and it leaked and well, luckily I caught it with only $4k in damage. Another idiot shop who put it back together used LR wires that I'm not crazy about.

If you really plan on keeping this vehicle, you're going to go through some different sets of things. Most people jump in this vehicle, drive it, get laid/married and then get tired of it. It's a whole other ballgame to go 10 years in it. So my suggestion... screw it. Get the Magnecors, use them a few years, then get some others.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs View Post
Need a new set and was wondering what the gurus recommend. I have a stock set up. Just replaced the cap and rotor with genuine and noticed the aftermarket wires don't fit snug and have some age on them. So Magnacore 7mm or Genuine spark plug wires and why? I've read the genuine ones degrade quicker but I typically run genuine parts in all my trucks since they tend to give better results.

Thanks -

2nd kingsborne, I think I put 8mm...... work great! and believe cheaper then magnacore.......
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Yeah, the Kingsborne are a good bit cheaper than Magnecor. I used Magnecor for a 5 or 6 years but then switched to back to Kignsborne (I used to sell Kingborne wires 20 years ago or so).
If you get the 8mm wires from Kingsborne I'd order 8mm separators as well from them. You can get the 8mm wires in to the stock separators, but I've found that they don't stay in as well, over the long haul.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Good info, what about Accel wires? Any benefit going from 7mm to 8mm?

-Cheers...
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

From the door handle deep swamps of Florida to the heat of Moab and now the sub -0 temps of Wyoming I have not found a wire that lasts as long as the Magnacore's. The difference in the 6,7,or 8mm is only the insulation. Pick which ever suits your needs best. I had a 15yr old set on a RR Classic that were zip-tied together and never had any arc issues. I'll install whatever the client wants but personally I only like to do things once.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, genuine