Lumenition conversion - no spark from coil? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 12th, 2016, 12:53 PM
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW
Lumenition conversion - no spark from coil?

Trying to solve a no start situation & when I opened up the access panel thru the top of the fender above my coil, I noticed that it was wired into what turns out to be a " Lumenition " electronic ignition conversion, which is made available for Series & D's thru 1985. Fwiw, the outward appearance of it suggests that it is the "standard" version. Here's the mfr's product description page: Optronic product guide - AUTOCAR

Anyway, I'm in the "no start" situation - when I turn on the ignition key, I've got spark coming into the positive terminal of the coil, but I can't get either the old coil or a new cross-referenced coil from NAPA to show me any spark coming out of the thick wire that comes out of the coil & plugs into the top of the distributor cap amongst all the incoming spark plug wires...

So, on this type of modified ignition, should I even be concerned about finding spark on that wire? - does it modify/bypass the setup to an extent that there should NEVER be any spark in that particular wire???

And why no love here for the Lumenition? - not even a single search result here for that word & no Google results for U.S. retailers - is this something that I should consider removing?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

coil, conversion