Lug wrench - do they really shrink?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Lug wrench - do they really shrink??

OK, really weird.
I took off the spare to install the new roof rack. There were several hard spots but the most difficult was the lug wrench to get the pretty little chrome lugs off the spare. The stock LR wrench only fits on the last 1/3rd of the lug, so it keeps slipping off. I then tried all the wheels and same thing. Now, the lug wrench is a bit rusty inside so I sanded it down... but to no avail. It is clean and pretty now.

This would not be an issue, but no one around here carries a lug wrench of a diameter close to fitting the Defender LR lugs. And I start to sweat thinking of the price mark up ($6.00 - 14.95 standard) may LR impose on its unique tool.

Recommendations and Options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The size is 1 1/16 or 27mm. Go get a socket and 1/2 inch breaker bar for your tool kit. Also, some tire shops will use a 1 1/8 socket if they lack the correct size. This will damage the outer cover of the lug nuts and cause the problem that you are having.
Rob
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:15 PM
jabber
m j

I second that!! I bent the shit out of my whimpy LR lug wrench. So I went to Sears and bought a 1/2 inch breaker bar, extention and socket. I use the extention cause I have the spare mounted on the hood. Go this route!! I'd really like to see ya bend the breaker bar!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
I second that!! I bent the shit out of my whimpy LR lug wrench. So I went to Sears and bought a 1/2 inch breaker bar, extention and socket. I use the extention cause I have the spare mounted on the hood. Go this route!! I'd really like to see ya bend the breaker bar!!
The genuine lug wrenches suck. I bent the one from my Classic, my D90, and my D2 all in on day. The stupid tire place used their impact wrenches to put the lugs back on. But to make a long story short I now have a 1 1/16 socket and a breaker bar in all three of my trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Sears it is then.
Thanks and cheers
Another weird little, BUT pissed me off, problem solved by "D"heads.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions