Lug Nuts!!! Get loose today !!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Question Lug Nuts!!! Get loose today !!!!

Hi everybody.When I was driving today,I was feeling something wrong with truck.Was some knocking in front end , and I got feelings I will roll over truck on every corner I drove.I stop on look under truck ..none.My friend look on my rims ,and point to lug nuts !!! They all was loose ,I can turn them by hand !!!! It's is usally for lug nuts get loose ? I never see anything like that before! Should I check them more often ?
Thank you
Vadim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:09 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Seen it happen before, did you have the tires off recently? Let me guess, drivers side?

I've found that not only the torque sequence is important, but also where on the jack the truck is makes a difference too. I usually snug down when it's still on the jack to seat the lugs. Then I lower the jack just enough to prevent the tire from turning but not put much weight on the tire and torque fully. Then I totally drop the truck off the jack and torque again twice.

Also, make sure to use a good wheel spider, and not the wimpy lug wrench that came with the truck. The factory lug wrench doesn't get enough leverage normally, and won't tighten the nuts enough.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Actually both front tires was loose!! And I can't even remember when I took my tires off!! Men ,I was shock ,when its happen!!
Thank you
Vadim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Have you tried tightening them?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Yes I did last night,now I will watch them period
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

and when you tightened them the last time, did you use a torque wrench? One should always be used, except in emergency roadside repair situations.

I haul dual-axle RV and livestock trailers with my (non-Rover) pickup. Makers of these trailers are always cautionig that the lug nuts must be checked regularly, as tight turns put alot of stress on the wheels and tend to work the nuts loose over time.

If you're running big tires on the '90, maybe you're putting the same kind of stress on the wheels.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My driver's rear tire came loose recently--I was totally shocked. I am pretty anal about tightening my wheels, so this was a bit of a surprise. I am always fussing with the truck and did have the wheels off, but when the rims go on, they get tightened. I am a bit of a conspiracy guy, so I am guessing it was SABOTAGE! O.K., probably not but sure make me feel better thinking I did not do anything wrong...in other words, it does happen and you are not alone
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

I thought same way SABOTAGE! But I don't have any problems with any body )I think it's just happen)
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:18 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Buy a compressor and an impact gun, problem solved.

When I got my truck, I couldn't take the lug nuts off so I went to a tire shop and had them do it. I was fitting new tires anyway. They said that the torque they were at was correct for that size of lug, so I went out and bought a 4ft bar and lug wrench and haven't had any problems since. If you can remove the lugs with a normal sized lug wrench it probably isn't tight enough.

Knock on wood, I'm checking them tommorow.
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

I have compressor,but I never suspect it may happen,but now I do)
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:58 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Like i said, use a torque wrench to make sure you're putting them on tight enough. The nuts are quite a bit bigger than other cars, and 100 ft-lbs. may be difficult for some people.

I've had trouble taking the nuts off with the factory lug wrench. Last time I tried, I just ended up twisting the wrench. Ended up going to Sears and replacing it with a proper metric socket and a 2 ft. breaker bar. When I stand my 200+ pounds on the end of that thing, there's no problem getting the nuts off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions