Lug nut lock/unlock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Lug nut lock/unlock

well, my lug nut unlock thing has stripped so now it doesnt set right in the socket head that it is supposed to fit in...so i cant get my tires and wheels off...are the squiggly cirgular patterns on all the unlockers the same or differ by year model numer etc? also i noticed the heads to all the other lug nuts jiggle I was just wondering why they are made like that..just curious if there is a reason?

ky
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

IIRC, there are about 6 different locking lug nut patterns. You should be able to get a new one at your local friendly dealership The loose ones are just the covers, which happens over time. They're not designed to come off.
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

unfortuanatly my "local friendly dealership" asked me what type of car i was driving, when i said it was a land rover they were astounded...then i said well i was wondering if you carried extra lug nug unlockers and they said "check the internet" so they are unhelpful to say the least. but I will call the san francisco dealership and see...thx so much
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

locking lug trouble

Several options:
1. Try dressing the endges of the "key" or the unlocking thingy to fit a smaller size six sided socket. Be gentle!
2. If access to a fabricator, build up the material around the stripped area and cut it down to fit your original lug wrench.
3. If all else is failing...weld the "key" to a cheap wrench. Remove all the locks and start over with new locks & key.

My "key" broke apart from a careless tire shop mechanic with overcharged impact. I rewelded and machined down. Removed all locks and started over.
Jim
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

When I worked at the LR dealership we had a master set of those squiggly lock thingys for those times when the lock isnt present. Also if you go to any good tire shop there master tech probably has a master wheel lock set removal tool kit. My favorite one is the air hammer with a chissle on it, you gotta be careful to not mess up the wheel but you can get it off. Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions