Lucas, the Prince of Darkness...still at it... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2005, 10:32 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Angry Lucas, the Prince of Darkness...still at it...

So, I had an issue about a month ago where all of my lights went out on me (of course I was driving down a narrow farm road at night). When I got back to my house, the parking lights would work when I would switch to that selector, but when I flipped the switch to headlamps I got nothing...no headlights, parking lights, dash lights - ZERO.

I ordered PRC3430 (a new switch) and pulled the steering cover apart to swap switches. Before buttoning everything back up, I wanted to make sure it was indeed the culprit so I plugged it in and put the keys in the ignition and set it to ON and turned the switch to headlights = ON. Lo and behold, I have lights again!

So, I take the keys out and button everything back up. 30 minutes later (and now dark outside), I fire up the 90 and go to turn on the headlights...nothing doing w/ the headlights. ARRRRRGH! However, parking lights and the dash lights are ok this time with the switch selector to headlights....hmmmm...very odd. All fuses are ok...now I am VERY confused.

Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Check your ground connections. If a bad ground exsists the switch will fry itself.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
check power is getting to the headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I had a very similar thing happen to me last week. No lights, no fan, no windshield wipers. It turned out to be dirty fuse contacts. I did check the fuses and they were fine. I cleaned the fuse contacts and the problem is now solved.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Our Discovery 1 lost it's main & dip beams amd the main beam warning light came on in the cab whenever the lights were turned on. Turned out to be corroded contactson the connectors to the bulbs I discovered after dismantling the steering column switch gear and half of the dashboard
Turned out that all that was needed was vasaline in the terminal blocks at the headlamps (and a new terminal [in the fullness of time] because the resistance caused by the corrosion had caused everything to get so hot that the plastic melted) LUCAS Prince of Fire Starters
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:26 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
More darkness struck this week too. I smashed a side light whilst off roading last Sunday, all the lights at the front stopped working in protest after I replaced the sidelight unit
Connections that had lain undisturbed for 20 years didn't respond well to being pulled about
Earths failed to earth, 12 volts would magicly dissappear when a lamp was plugged in and all the fuse holders became nonconductive for a while
Lost of wire brushing, waxoyl and soldering new terminals finally got everything shining and tooting as it should - took a day though!!!!!!!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions