Lucas Girling Brake Fluid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Lucas Girling Brake Fluid

Hi,

After doing some searches here, it looks like the Lucas Girling brake fluid may be the ticket. But...will I need to flush the system of the factory fluid beforehand? The information that I've found is somewhat confusing:

While Lucas Girling brake fluids are the natural choice for a Lucas braking system, they are also suitable for use in the braking systems of other manufacturers. Their conventional brake fluids mix safely with any fluid conforming to DOT 4 or conventional DOT 5.1, while Lucas Mineral Oils are fully compatible with similar mineral-based products. Note: Conventional brake fluid should not be mixed with mineral oil fluid. Serious brake fluid may result. Consult manufacturer's handbook for details.

That paragraph confused me because I don't know if the LG fluid is mineral oil-based. Can anyone enlighten me?

I was planning on using the regular old DOT4 fluid from Advance Auto Parts but its boiling point is quite a bit less than the LR-specified 500 deg F minimum boiling point.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2005, 01:16 AM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

When in doubt flush it out. I use Castrol LMA with no complaints. As a plus it is more readily available at the local parts store.
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Chris,

I am on board with Read regarding Castrol LMA. I use it for both my D-90 and RR LWB.

Castrol LMA has a BP of 509 degrees F, and here is the MSDS for your amusement.

If you are going to be flushing your entire system and doing regular maintenance on your brakes, I would suggest purchasing a power bleeder like Motive Products. For complete system flushing and one guy operations, it is handy tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2005, 01:55 AM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

and I'll agree with the use of the Motive Power Bleeder. It sure is handy.
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:35 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss
Chris,

I am on board with Read regarding Castrol LMA. I use it for both my D-90 and RR LWB.
Thanks for the tips, guys. My parking brake light is flashing and the fluid is halfway between MIN and MAX. In the meantime, what fluid should I add to my factory fluid to get me by until I can get the bleeder? Will Castrol LMA mix ok or should I just get some regular DOT4?

Thanks again,

Chris

P.S. Hoss, isn't it great to know the health effects of consuming large amounts of brake fluid?

/
/
/
/
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Chris,

Castrol LMA is compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluids, so
brake fluids should mix safely with any fluid conforming with those DOT specifications. Where you can run into trouble, as you originally mentioned, is if you are mixing a brake system that utilizes mineral oil with a synthetic.

Some cars, such as Jags and Rolls Royce use a mineral base fluid. Lucas Girling also manufactures a mineral oil so you need to make sure what you are buying. The question is determining what is in your braking system right now. I would guess it is not a mineral oil base fluid, but it is a guess since I do not know what is in your truck.

Rovers North promotes use of Lucas Girling and sells their products. If you have any concerns I would give Rovers North a call to chat with their customer service personnel.

P.S. Consuming large amounts of any fluid happens on the trails (after the driving part), and truth be told I do not check the MSDS for beer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake