lubricating ignition key barrel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2015, 09:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
lubricating ignition key barrel

My ignition key has started to not always spring back after turning the key to the start position, or at least spring back slowly. I believe my procrastination to fix it cost me a starter yesterday when my wife and daughter went for a drive - I think it stayed in the start position and burned up the starter.

Any do's or don't here? I was thinking of trying some powered graphite in the key hole, but don't want to make it worse.

tia,
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
PB Blaster or Ballistol
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:25 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I always use a product called Lock Ease. It's like a fast drying liquid graphite. Works mint for me. I personally would avoid any kind of oils and stuff. That attracts dirt in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Ok, hopefully graphite will solve it. I guess it would be hard to make it worse. lol.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I heard that you shouldn't use graphite on Land Rover locks... It mixes with their lubricant and acts like a glue or something like that... I think they suggested a Kevlar lube or something like that.... Microlube.... I can't remember.. I'm sure you can do a search for it...
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:10 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I use a little 3-in-one in the slots of the key. Probably not ideal because it might breakdown the OE grease but I try to keep up in it 2-3x year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:01 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
What? Could a starter really stay on with the cylinder not fully popped? I have to jiggle the cylinder a bit after I pull my key out. Otherwise I'll get the warning bell that my truck still thinks the key was left in the cylinder. I never paid it any mind because if someone opened the door, it'll ding like as if they set off an alarm. Nice effect! ;-) But when I park it securely or for a longer period, I always give it a jiggle so that it pops fully just in case.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I heard that you shouldn't use graphite on Land Rover locks... It mixes with their lubricant and acts like a glue or something like that... I think they suggested a Kevlar lube or something like that.... Microlube.... I can't remember.. I'm sure you can do a search for it...
Sorry...meant Teflon not Kevlar
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
What? Could a starter really stay on with the cylinder not fully popped?
Listen, I wasn't there, so let me explain what I know and see if you'd come to the same conclusion.

Wife and daughter (with learners permit) went off for a drive. Wife started it and backed out of the garage, then daughter drove. They trolled the streets of the hood for maybe 10 mins? Came to a stop sign and it died. Said smoke was coming out form under the hood. Awful burning smell. Truck would not start. Ignition switch definitely sticks and does not spring back.

When I got there, the smoke was gone, smell still there and seemed to come from the starter area but can't be sure. I check battery voltage, could hear a relay click but not a peep from the starter. I had a spare starter in the troy box, but tools were at home and the engine was hot so I just said F it, and took a tow of shame home.

Yesterday after work I checked for voltage at the starter, and the exciter wire when the key was turned, so swapped in my replacement starter and it fired right up. Went for a test drive for 10-15 minutes, long enough to come to full temps, and long enough that if something was going to blow, it would have.

So that's why I can only assume the starter was engaged an just burned up. Have not tried to bench test it or anything yet - need to go diagnose a BMW misfire right now
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:48 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Been using WD40 for 25 years on mine, twice/yr. so while it may be a problem, it is slow to show. And have used on Defenders, Classics, Discos, even Series- remember WD is water displacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:00 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Graphite works great
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:17 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Lock

Charles-same thing happened to me a year ago. Smoked my starter. I replaced it and went to Cherrydale Hardware in Arlington, described my problem and the guys inside took a lubricant called Tri-flow or something rather, gave it a squirt or two (free of charge) and it always springs back. I'd look into this stuff.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks all

Damn, there is a lot of conflicting info out there on this one. I still haven't done anything yet, but thinking maybe "flush" it with brake cleaner and then use a teflon based lubricant like TriFlow.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:45 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Listen, I wasn't there, so let me explain what I know and see if you'd come to the same conclusion.
Oh, definitely! I think you've got it pegged. My cylinder issue is not remotely identical as it is purely related to the key, whilst yours was rotational recoil. Sorry you had the tow of shame despite having the solution on board. I bet it was sitting right there in the Troy next to a spare fuel filter, sender, and stepper! ;-) Best of luck with the bummer bimmer and all the best.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Just for the record, I found I had a liquid graphite product called "Lock Ease" on the shelf (no recollection of buying this ever), so gave it a few squirts. The lock feels great and springs back fine now. Time will tell if it's a good long term fix
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:36 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Only down side to graphite is your key gets that pencil lead on it.... Eventually it does work it's way into the lock
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah my daughter found that out before I had a chance to warn her to wipe off the key before putting it in her pocket. LOL
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Before you're trapped....

replace the switch.....it's such a simple job and wish I'd have done it before I was in BF Kansas.

Having said that, I "squirted" dry graphite into every hole...ha ha...that's what she said...and am amazed at the difference in turning effort and smoothness.

I say, try graphite..

KCD

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions