LTB's vs. BFG M/T - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

LTB's vs. BFG M/T

So I'm looking at buying KevinNY's old set of Interco LTB's, but I'm still a bit on the fence about what I should do.

My options are:

- Set of the LTB's to use for getting to the trail and on the trail. Then another set for regular on-road driving.
- Set of 285/75 BFG M/T's that I would run all year round.

Is it really worth all the drawbacks of a Bias Ply tire (flat spots, horrible on-road)? The BFG's seem like awesome tires and everyone I've talked to likes them just fine. I really want to go with the LTB's, but am having some difficulty justifying them.

The LTB's are 34x10.5's. Would that fit on my truck without a lift? (for the time being)

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Bias ply's are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. They are lighter, tougher, and usually cheaper than the radial. They will wear slightly faster, and very rarely they can flat spot. But it's not a big deal, it only happens when the truck sits for extended periods or it is very cold. Either way, they will be round again 2 blocks from your house.

There is no difference between Bias and Radial handling on the same tire. There will be a difference between the LTB's and BFG's.

There is no wrong answer. Go with what will make you happy.

BTW: The LTB will spank the BFG in off road performance.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'm definitely leaning towards the LTB's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I bought the mickey thompson mudders 295 75 16 or approx 33x12?

havent mounted them yet. waiting to do my lift first of the month. love the bfgs. havent tried the others.
have 35s bfg muds on my cj.

bfg didnt have the size I was looking for as I am retaining stock rims for the time being until I find black rims that look just like the stock rims only 1" wider
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
The BFG's seem like awesome tires and everyone I've talked to likes them just fine.
I had a set for 5 years and they were horrid. Dangerously poor traction on hard wet surfaces. Not any good in mud. Really nothing good to say about them.
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I had a set for 5 years and they were horrid. Dangerously poor traction on hard wet surfaces. Not any good in mud. Really nothing good to say about them.
Are you talking about road or rocks? (i.e. aired down or "road" pressure)
I really need to know as my next set of tires will likely be BFG MT's..... and my truck will (hopefully) not be a daily driver.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Are you talking about road or rocks? (i.e. aired down or "road" pressure)
I really need to know as my next set of tires will likely be BFG MT's..... and my truck will (hopefully) not be a daily driver.
If your not going to be driving the truck on the road very much, get a real set of tires! IROKs rok!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On road they were fine. Long life, smooth enough.

Off road, they were very durable, but shitty traction in many situations. Aired down or not. The compounding is way to hard.

I'm running Interco TrXus MT now and they are much, muich better. Decent and predictable traction in all situations while being good on the road.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Take the interco's. My 90 had the FBG's and they were hard and noisy with lousy snow traction. I replaced them quickly with TrXus MT's from Interco. what a difference. Sooo quiet on the road, quite good in mud and excellent anywhere offroad or on. Great on snow and ice due to the siping. I love my tires. Interco make tires for drivers, BFG make tires to make money through manufacturers as OEM crap.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Another vote for IROKs, best tire for any terrain, including tarmac (I'm on my 2nd set...)
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Umm, not everyone has axles to cope with Iroks. A lot of money needs to go into a Rover before sticking those on.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Umm, not everyone has axles to cope with Iroks. A lot of money needs to go into a Rover before sticking those on.
They have a 33" IROK available, which should weigh less than any other aggressive 33" tire out there...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

John/Andy,

What size TrXus are you running? Do you know what the actual OD is?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
Quote:
The LTB's are 34x10.5's. Would that fit on my truck without a lift? (for the time being)

What are your thoughts?
I don't know how much wheeling you are going to want to do with 34's and no lift. As far as which tire, IMHO, no wrong answer. BFG's will last longer, LTB's will wheel better, it's up to you what is more important.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
They have a 33" IROK available, which should weigh less than any other aggressive 33" tire out there...
Oh look they do, but only in Radial and 17" rims. Still a sticky 13.5" wide tire need some real axles.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
John/Andy,

What size TrXus are you running? Do you know what the actual OD is?

Thanks,
Ryan
I have 235/85 (little engine). I'll be going larger now that I have some power.

Size is as advertised http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Well tires are one (I went with the intercos) and they fit and look great! No rubbing even when really stuffed. Looks like I can hold off on the lift! Thanks for all your input. I'll put a picture up tomorrow or something.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineryrover
I don't know how much wheeling you are going to want to do with 34's and no lift. As far as which tire, IMHO, no wrong answer. BFG's will last longer, LTB's will wheel better, it's up to you what is more important.
Why do you say that? They don't rub. I guess interco's run a bit small though. More like a 33" tires rather than a 34".
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

If you are stuffing those 33's then I would be willing to bet your truck already has a lift. My MT Baja Claws get very very close even with the OME lift (305 70 16 ~33's).
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
If you are stuffing those 33's then I would be willing to bet your truck already has a lift. My MT Baja Claws get very very close even with the OME lift (305 70 16 ~33's).
If you run a lift with no bump stop adjustment then the tires will return to the same position as stock on full stuff. The lift doesn't change where the tire stops.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Well tires are one (I went with the intercos) and they fit and look great! No rubbing even when really stuffed. Looks like I can hold off on the lift! Thanks for all your input. I'll put a picture up tomorrow or something.

Follow-up Post:

Why do you say that? They don't rub. I guess interco's run a bit small though. More like a 33" tires rather than a 34".
Not all interco's run small. The Irok is the most spot on size tire I have owned. The 39.5 x 13.50 runs 39.2 x 13.6

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Sorry about the poseur shot... I'm excited to test them out on some real wheeling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-009.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	8678  
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Very nice Chris.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bfg