LT95 with Fairey Overdrive Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:18 PM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht
2005 LR3 SE "No Name Yet"

Registry
LT95 with Fairey Overdrive Questions

Good Morning. I have a 1985 110 CSW, 3.5 V8, LT95 with a Fairey Overdrive.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on Fairey Overdrives and I am now thoroughly confused. A quick google search or a search of these forums have plenty of information about Fairey O/Ds fitted to Series Land Rovers but they all seem to differ slightly from mine. So here goes:

1. There is mention about a filler plug and dipstick on the Fairey Overdrives. I have removed my seatbox and checked the top of the O/D and can find no such plug. Am I missing something?

2. Some of the posts talk about the O/D sharing oil with the T/case and some of them say that the O/D has its own oil supply. Is the O/D meant to share its oil with the T/case (intentionally - I've seen plenty of posts where this happens unintentionally due to a blown seal)?

3. I've also seen where someone says to fill the O/D with EP90, but my gearbox and t/case take 20W50.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

If you take the seatbox cover off and look again, you will see a large Bolt/Hex Head" offset on the driver side(assuming LHD) This is your dipstick........it's under there, just unscrew it.

There is a notch about 3/4 of the way down the dipstick, if it's wet with it screwed all the way in you are good to go. Otherwise add 90 weight.

I fill and maintain my fairy OD independent of the transfer case. I have another truck with a Roverdrive and it shares the 90 weight with the transfer case, this is where you are likely getting conflicting information between several different manufacturers.

------ Follow up post added March 17th, 2015 06:05 PM ------

Here is the manual.

This one appears to have a flat head screw for the dipstick, but I have never seen that before. I have had three Fairy's and they all had a hex head for the dipstick.

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful.

Land Rover FAQ - Repair & Maintenance - Series - Options - Fairey Overdrive Installation Manual Pg2

Navigate the pages on the left part of the screen.
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I was told the transmission and overdrive get straight 50w oil and not 90w.
Sterling, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2015, 12:23 AM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht
2005 LR3 SE "No Name Yet"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
If you take the seatbox cover off and look again, you will see a large Bolt/Hex Head" offset on the driver side(assuming LHD) This is your dipstick........it's under there, just unscrew it. There is a notch about 3/4 of the way down the dipstick, if it's wet with it screwed all the way in you are good to go. Otherwise add 90 weight. I fill and maintain my fairy OD independent of the transfer case. I have another truck with a Roverdrive and it shares the 90 weight with the transfer case, this is where you are likely getting conflicting information between several different manufacturers. ------ Follow up post added March 17th, 2015 06:05 PM ------ Here is the manual. This one appears to have a flat head screw for the dipstick, but I have never seen that before. I have had three Fairy's and they all had a hex head for the dipstick. Anyway, hopefully this is helpful. Land Rover FAQ - Repair & Maintenance - Series - Options - Fairey Overdrive Installation Manual Pg2 Navigate the pages on the left part of the screen.
Thanks for your reply. I've had the seat box off and can confirm that I definitely have a Fairey O/D and it does not have the dipstick and filler plug. Maybe I've got an older model?

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Well, looks like the Fairy OD is not the same for an LT95 application as it is for a Series gearbox.

This is what you are looking for I think:

Fairey Overdrive on LT95 - Oil - Australian Land Rover Owners

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions