LT95 vs LT85? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
LT95 vs LT85?

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I have an LT95 mated to a 3.5 V8 in my 110. Thinking about a rebuild vs a new transmission. Safari Rover is in the UK and can get a rebuilt LT85 for me. I have done some research and know the basic differences but can anyone tell me if this is a direct swap? Do I need to change propshafts with the new transfercase? Will I need to redo the tunnel? Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

My D90 came with an LT85 split case unit when I purchased it, the tunnel cover from the original cover Lt77 did not fit any more. The box is very robust, but very noisy & rough for my taste. I would buy an R380 from Ascroft if already in the UK & ship it thru Stephen having the chance to do so.

sorry could not be more helpfull.
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I changed from a LT95 to a LT77s with a LT230 transfercase. I didn't have to change the driveshafts but I had to change a mount, modify the seat box, change the tunnel cover and replace the foorboards. It was worth it to get 5th gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it ain't broke ....
Old July 18th, 2010, 01:00 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Yeah I know, it's not broken, just loud. Maybe it's suppose to be that way, I don't know how it's suppose to sound, it's my first.

I have a Fairey behind it so I have a lot of gears.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 18th, 2010, 01:29 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Throw half a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer in it. Also, it could be the OD that is loud.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:17 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

LT85 tunnel is the same as th R380 one, so easy to get hold of.
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I have a LT95 in my Stage One. I had an OD. The OD was noisy. I blew up. I do not have an OD any more. They are very hard to find (domestically) to replace.

Another option popular with the Stage One Dudes is to replace the xfer gears from the Stage One with a RR set. They are a few steps higher on the hi-range set only.
Sterling, VA
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Do you plan on keeping the v8 long term? I thought you had mentioned going diesel at some point. If so, you might want to think about future compatibility.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Yeah Paul,

You're right. I do plan on running the V8 until it dies, then follow your build post on how to properly install an Isuzu. Hint hint

So I guess the LT85 will not mate to the Isuzu?

Old July 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Yeah Paul,

You're right. I do plan on running the V8 until it dies, then follow your build post on how to properly install an Isuzu. Hint hint

So I guess the LT85 will not mate to the Isuzu?
Hint noted.

The LT85 along with the proper engine side flywheel housing was factory from~1986-90 for the 4BD1
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
I have a LT95 in my Stage One. I had an OD. The OD was noisy. I blew up. I do not have an OD any more. They are very hard to find (domestically) to replace.

Another option popular with the Stage One Dudes is to replace the xfer gears from the Stage One with a RR set. They are a few steps higher on the hi-range set only.
Is the overdrive running all the time or only when it is engaged?

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Hint noted.

The LT85 along with the proper engine side flywheel housing was factory from~1986-90 for the 4BD1
So will a military hd LT85 with transfercase mate up to a 3.5 v8 fitted with an LT95? Will I need to change the mounts on the frame?

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

AFAIK, there are two LT85 bellhousings, the most common would be for the rover V8, while the other was used in the Aussie market during the mid-late 80's mated to an Isuzu 4BD1. I'm not familiar with a "military hd" version. Any idea what that might entail, dif ratios, bearings...? If you are planning on sticking with the V8, I would go for a late spec R380 instead of the LT85. If you want to go for a 4BD1T in the future, a rebuild of your LT95 (with a TRB kit) or an Isuzu MSA-5G gearbox mated to an LT230 would be my choice.
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

There were 2 types of LT85... split case and solid case.

the solid case is considered the strongest of them, although the split case is no wuss either.

As grnrvs says ^^^ i'd go for an R380 over them both, unless of course you've got it in the shed gathering dust anyway!
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
.... I'm not familiar with a "military hd" version. Any idea what that might entail, dif ratios, bearings...? If you are planning on sticking with the V8, I would go for a late spec R380 instead of the LT85. If you want to go for a 4BD1T in the future, a rebuild of your LT95 (with a TRB kit) or an Isuzu MSA-5G gearbox mated to an LT230 would be my choice.
I'm not sure what Stephen means by "military hd" either.

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2010 04:52 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
....As grnrvs says ^^^ i'd go for an R380 over them both, unless of course you've got it in the shed gathering dust anyway!
No I don't have one. Stephen has one coming in from the UK. R380 huh? I'll have to do some research on how to fit this to a 3.5 V8.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Before you condemn the LT95, remove the OD and see if the noise goes away.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I'm not sure what Stephen means by "military hd" either.

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2010 04:52 PM ------

No I don't have one. Stephen has one coming in from the UK. R380 huh? I'll have to do some research on how to fit this to a 3.5 V8.

They do one with the V8 bellhousing (for defender). not sure what length propshafts you'll need though.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
They do one with the V8 bellhousing (for defender). not sure what length propshafts you'll need though.
My chassis is a Marsland V8 chassis. The only specification listed was for the engine and they never mentioned what kind of transmission will fit. I assume the tranny mounts are universal? So If I can find a R380 with a 3.5 V8 bellhousing it will fit on the tranny mounts? Anyone have any experience with this conversion?

Old August 5th, 2010, 02:40 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Iím afraid I canít help with the R380 conversion, but I agree with Ron. If the LT95 was running fine when you took the truck apart, Iíd keep it. Especially since you already have an overdrive for it.

When I first got my 110, I noticed that all the gears were noisy except for fourth. I did some research to learn about this gearbox, as it was totally unfamiliar to me. Many of the links I found were from 4x4 forums in Australia, where the LT95 seems to be pretty popular. Anyway, it appears that these things are all noisy. I know that seems like a cop-out, but I think itís a case of ďThatís just the way they areĒ. As an aside, the consensus of opinion was that the LT95 was the strongest box that Land Rover ever made. Iíll admit, itís clunky and very truck-like, but itís really grown on me to the point where I actually like it. And I donít even have an overdriveÖ

When first purchased, I had all sorts of devious plans to convert the truck to lhd, change out the dual carbs for EFI, install a different gearbox, yadda, yadda, yadda. Since then, Iíve binned every one of those ideas. I like everything just the way it is. Even the rhd has grown on me to the point where Iíd never think of changing it, and I once swore Iíd never buy a rhd truck! Sure, the truck is no speed demon, but I live way out in the sticks, and mostly drive on typical New England backroads and rarely drive above 55. If you drive mostly on highways, perhaps another gearbox might be a better option.

Anyway, I rambled a bit there, but those are some thoughts from a guy who likes his LT95.

Cheers,

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags