LT95 vs LT85? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

You will have to change the trans mounts (just one if I remember right, right side) but the mounting holes in the chassis line up just fine. The worst part of the conversion for me was modifiying the seat box to take the new tunnel cover and that just took time to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Mike,

I like the LT95. I initially wanted to rebuild it. Safari Rover was over in the UK so asked him to find me a rebuild kit. I guess there is no such thing but he was able to find an LT85 so that is why I started this thread originally. It seems everyone here likes the R380 so I am just looking for options. My 110 is still "open" enough now that it would be easier to change out the tranny now rather than later when everything is buttoned back up.

Rrover--Thanks for the info. I guess it would make sense for Marsland to prep the chassis for different transmissions. Did you have to change the propshafts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Oh, I understand. I was just throwing my .02 out there. If I had my truck torn apart like yours, I'm sure I'd be contemplating my options too!

I seem to recall finding a rebuild kit from LRSeries, Craddocks or some other UK vendor. Maybe it was just a gasket kit? I don't remember, as it was quite a while ago. Hmm...now I'm curious. Time to do some checking, as that's going to bug me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2010, 02:44 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

Found it:

http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/oursho...-PSK-1137.html

It's not cheap, but there is a kit option with aftermarket parts available too. Strangly, the oil pump gears aren't included. They usually get changed out as well, as they're just plastic.

Quickly running some of the part numbers through LRSeries, and I get the feeling you could put your own kit together for cheaper. Although, some of those larger bearings are kinda pricey regardless.

Mike
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey thanks Mike. I looked for weeks and couldn't find a kit. Funny but shouldn't it have gears also? Looks like just bearings and gaskets. Where did you get the parts numbers? I don't see it on the pegasus website.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I love my LT85, very stout very reliable. I use a premium fluid in it and it cuts the noise a bit but I will put up with a bit of noise for the reliability. I also sound proofed the crap out of the tunnel cover and the whole front cab of the 130 and I can now carry on a conversation at 70 mph without yelling.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoleman762 View Post
Found it:

http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/oursho...-PSK-1137.html

It's not cheap, but there is a kit option with aftermarket parts available too. Strangly, the oil pump gears aren't included. They usually get changed out as well, as they're just plastic.

Quickly running some of the part numbers through LRSeries, and I get the feeling you could put your own kit together for cheaper. Although, some of those larger bearings are kinda pricey regardless.

Mike
WOW- their rebuild kit was MORE than a brand new r380 with all the upgrades from Dave Ashcroft.
How does that make any sense to hang onto the lt95.
The lt95 is a good box for a v8 and I haven't had one that wasn't geared such that 75-80 on the highway was easily done. That said they are huge, heavy, and very agricultural in feel. Damn things last forever if you keep oil in them and don't force the synchro's

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2010 10:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
My chassis is a Marsland V8 chassis. The only specification listed was for the engine and they never mentioned what kind of transmission will fit. I assume the tranny mounts are universal? So If I can find a R380 with a 3.5 V8 bellhousing it will fit on the tranny mounts? Anyone have any experience with this conversion?
Like Mike Mccaig said above the holes in the frame are whats universal. The lt95 uses the same mounts as a Borg Warner/& auto combination, the Lt77 and r380 each have their own different mount brackets-not sure about the lt230/auto and lt 85 mounts and how different they would be from the lt95.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
WOW- their rebuild kit was MORE than a brand new r380 with all the upgrades from Dave Ashcroft. How does that make any sense to hang onto the lt95.
Really?

Old August 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Really?
Yup. 495 gbp. Even when adding the core charge still cheaper. Mine was slightly over $1500 delivered to the local airport.
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...od&productId=6

You would need a bell housing, shifter tower, and an lt230 so the slope is a little more slippery

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

Quote:
Hey thanks Mike. I looked for weeks and couldn't find a kit. Funny but shouldn't it have gears also? Looks like just bearings and gaskets. Where did you get the parts numbers? I don't see it on the pegasus website.
Youíre welcome. The kits wonít have the gears, as they will be different depending on which vehicle they are from. The 110, 101, and Range Rover have different gear ratios. There is even another set of gears for an Isuzu engine. Judging from what Iíve been reading, the gears rarely need messed with. It seems a lot of guys throw in a bunch of new bearings as needed, add the intermediate shaft update conversion, and toss the unit back in the truck. Gears are available, but you have to examine the ones in your gearbox to see if they actually need replaced.

I got the part numbers out of the early 110 parts catalog. REAL handy little bugger to have. Itís part number RTC9863CE. Got my copy from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
WOW- their rebuild kit was MORE than a brand new r380 with all the upgrades from Dave Ashcroft.
Yeah, my jaw hit the floor when I saw the price! Letís see, £982 converts to $1568 as of this morning. Yikes! They do offer a "replacement specification" kit at £393, or $627. Of course, what are they using as replacements, Britpart? Again, Yikes! I didnít run all of the parts in the kit due to time, but I get the feeling that all the seals and bearings could be ordered separately for cheaper, and you could mix and match Genuine and aftermarket as you felt comfortable with.

Oh, I did find another kit, this time in Australia:

http://www.roverparts.com.au/inc/sdetail/4475

This one appears to have some more parts in it than the one offered by Pegasus, including the oil pump gears. Price converts to $833, but I canít tell if those are Genuine or aftermarket. They do list all the individual part numbers though, which is kinda handy.

Also, just to be very clear here, Iím not some kind of LT95 expert. Iíve never taken one apart, or changed any parts on one. I just have one in my truck, and I like it. Curiosity about it, and the desire to find spares, has just led me to do some research on it, thatís all.
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Mike and Doug, thanks for the info. Just gotta decide now what will be best with the money, ease of doing, and time at hand.

So has anyone here taken an LT95 apart to replace the bearings etc? Is it a labor intensive job or can I do it in a weekend? Just looking for real world experience to see if retrofitting an R380 will be easier. Thanks

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
So has anyone here taken an LT95 apart to replace the bearings etc? Is it a labor intensive job or can I do it in a weekend? Just looking for real world experience to see if retrofitting an R380 will be easier. Thanks
IMO, the easiest would be to source a Rob D or Ashcroft rebuild R380 + LT230. I love my LT95, but ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags