LT95 gearbox ratio discussion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Ray Wood
1984 Australian Built 110 4BD1
LT95 gearbox ratio discussion

I'm lucky to own a 1986 Australian built 110 fitted with the Isuzu 4bd motor and the LT95 gearbox. Over the last ten years I driven it extensively in Africa Europe and North America. It is the most reliable Land Rover I've ever owned.

On the 4000 Km drive back to Vancouver from the Arizona rally Last year I gave some thought to changing the ratios to give the truck better highway performance. I think it could cope with about 10 or 12 % lower overall ratio. An overdrive at 28% would be far too over geared to be useful which is the reason we don't make a Roamerdrive

There are no available lower transfer case gears available to swop as the existing ratio is already 1:1. It is not possible to cut some custom gears for the lower case as the diameter of the lower shaft is too big to accommodate a smaller diameter gear. You could replace both the front and rear diffs but that gets quite pricey and there is nothing out there quite right ratio wise

I'm thinking of cutting a myself a set of gears that would replace the upper two gears in the transfer case to bring the ration up by 12%. I don't this will effect the off road performance significantly as it such a low geared beast anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions