lt85, how much hp can it take? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 10th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB & '83 110 HCPU

Registry
lt85, how much hp can it take?

Is a 4.6L bad idea? What about 4.2L?

Back story- have a great 3.5L lt85 1.4lt230 combo to go into the 110, but I also have a converted 4.6l obd1 coming (thanks Tony) that I bought for the classic lwb.
A previous owner of the classic may want to buy it back, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, so I may have the 4.6 to go into the 110 Infront of the lt85 if I become classic less.

If that's a no-go, then I may put it in the classic, and take the 4.2L for the lt85 after a rebuild. If that's still too much for the old lt85 then I guess I'll stays with the 3.5l SU'd V8

All help appreciated. I just don't want to round off gears in a perfectly good lt85 b getting over zealous with horsepower. I've also spent a lot on motors, trans, etc recenty and don't much wasn't to buy yet another transmission

'95 RRC County
'95 RRC
'01 P38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2016, 02:18 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

It's burly. I'd put any Rover V8 in front of one without thinking twice. The only drawback is the roller bearings being a little noisy versus a tapered roller bearing but that's just a livability issue.

------ Follow up post added October 10th, 2016 02:19 PM ------

(some may say that the latest spec R380 is a stronger gearbox but I don't know if I buy that)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB & '83 110 HCPU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
It's burly. I'd put any Rover V8 in front of one without thinking twice. The only drawback is the roller bearings being a little noisy versus a tapered roller bearing but that's just a livability issue.

------ Follow up post added October 10th, 2016 02:19 PM ------

(some may say that the latest spec R380 is a stronger gearbox but I don't know if I buy that)
Good to hear. I'll take fast n loud anyday.Bearing noise? phh low on my list of gripes. More thinking and soul searching to come...
Poor old RRC still needs a new heart if I keep it, but the thought of a 4.6L 110 is so sexy.

'95 RRC County
'95 RRC
'01 P38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions