LT77S Transmission and Clutch slave leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
LT77S Transmission and Clutch slave leak

My clutch started leaking last month, refilled the master reservoir and have been good till last week. Clutch went to the floor again, checked the fluid and again, empty. So I have a leak.

I ordered a new slave cylinder thinking that was the issue. After spending more time under the truck this evening I am thinking the leak is from the tranny as well as the slave. Is this a typical issue with the LT77? How tough is it to drop the tranny and have all of the seals replaced? Is there anything I should have done while I have the tranny dropped? I am more than likely taking to a local shop because the closet Rover shop is little over an hour away, unless you guys think this is too complicated for a good mechanic that doesn't have Rover experience. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

First Plan for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfish82 View Post
My clutch started leaking last month, refilled... checked the fluid and again, empty. So I have a leak.
You should always replace the clutch master and slave cylinder together. When you don't the one you didn't replace usually fails shortly after the initial replacement.

When the slave cylinder leaks, the fluid goes into the transmission belhousing and a portion of it will eventually leak through the wading hole.

Can't tell from your description if this is what's happening, but I would replace the clutch hydraulics, unless you are 100% positive that you have a transmission leak and what you see is NOT brake (clutch) fluid.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
What else could it be if not a leak?? It is steadily losing fluid and I keep needing to fill the master. There doesn't appear to be any fluid between the master all the way down to the slave.

There is definitely fluid on the garage floor that is same color and consistency of the clutch fluid. When I took some time to really look it over today it seemed like a lot more than just from the slave. It appears to be all around the seal areas of the transmission and drops forming on the large bolts on the under side of tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:36 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
What else could it be if not a leak?? It is steadily losing fluid and I keep needing to fill the master. There doesn't appear to be any fluid between the master all the way down to the slave.
Yes we know the fluid is leaking... that's why I recommended:
"You should always replace the clutch master and slave cylinder together. When you don't the one you didn't replace usually fails shortly after the initial replacement."

So it's a given you need to replace your clutch cylinders and a new hydraulic hose won't hurt as well.

Quote:
There is definitely fluid on the garage floor that is same color and consistency of the clutch fluid. When I took some time to really look it over today it seemed like a lot more than just from the slave. It appears to be all around the seal areas of the transmission and drops forming on the large bolts on the under side of tranny.
"When the slave cylinder leaks, the fluid goes into the transmission belhousing and a portion of it will eventually leak through the wading hole."

So if you are sure you have 2 leaks, then you can by all means pull the transmission to fix it, but if you replace the clutch cylinders and hose and the leaks are gone, then you won't need to pull the LT77 (which is not trivial). Also it could be leaking from a plug, breather, or loose fitting which can be fixed in place.

What fluid is in your LT77? If its ATF and dyed red, it can easily be identified as something other than brake (clutch) fluid and if you then have no red drips, than your LT77 is not leaking.

Again, hope this helps. Good luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Thank you for the advise. I am going to go ahead and add the other pieces to my order and replace those at the same time.
Unfortunately the clutch fluid is just the standard and doesn't have a red dye. I will try to pick some up today with the dye and that way may be able to pin point the exact location of the leak. I agree last option should be wanting to drop the tranny and start rebuilding seals and gaskets.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Thank you for the advise. I am going to go ahead and add the other pieces to my order and replace those at the same time.
Unfortunately the clutch fluid is just the standard and doesn't have a red dye.
Please go back and read the last post again... Think I confused you.
In your first post, you mention the possibility of 2 different leaks:
One from the clutch hydraulics and one from the LT77 transmission.
So advised you to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders (which can be done without pulling the LT77 transmission out of the vehicle) and also replace the flexible clutch hose for good measure.

Quote:
I will try to pick some up today with the dye and that way may be able to pin point the exact location of the leak. I agree last option should be wanting to drop the tranny and start rebuilding seals and gaskets.
Was asking if you knew what fluid was in your LT77 transmission... that's what will be red,
I am not aware of any red brake fluid used in the clutch and always use Castrol LIMA dot 4 brake fluid.

After your cylinders are replaced and your clutch fluid leak fixed, then you can wipe everything down and look for transmission leaks from your LT77 which could be red fluid.

And finally, you'll need to buy the workshop manual and study it as it will provide better step by step guidance that you can get from replies like this.

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Took some pics of the slave, tranny, transfer case, etc. hoping that seeing what I am looking at may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-412604329.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	79386   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3653272571.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	79387  

Name:	image-4254115957.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	79388   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-502774059.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	79389  

Name:	image-3935643955.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	79390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3222310003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	79391  

Name:	image-130436162.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	79392  
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

If the clutch master is running dry it can only be from a leak in the master, slave, or clutch line. If you replaced the slave check pull the drivers side floor mat and see if its wet with fluid. If so, I'm 99% sure the leak is from the master.

Replacing the master can be a pain the first time around. Just remove the hood to make it easier. Whole job should take less than an hour.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions