lt77 to a 300tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:29 AM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
lt77 to a 300tdi

I have looked through this forum and have asked for photos on the 300tdi bolted to as lt77 and all I heard was the crickets and lightning bugs.

I found this website below to be informative. Has anyone really had their hands on this conversion?

http://www.landroverexpedition.com/engines/300tdi/

Sincerly
Mr. Cheap and matter of fact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I used to have that setup. I guess I missed your post, as I removed mine last month and now have an R380 with the stubby bell housing. The LT77 will bolt up to the 300 Tdi. You can get 8 of the 11 bell housing bolts mated up, which is good enough. The only thing that sucks is the 300 Tdi sits a bit further back, which makes some things a complete pain: running the air intake line (can't use stock) and removing the power brake vacuum pump come to mind. It does make removing the crankshaft pulley a little easier. Lines to other pieces don't quite line up either: AC lines and coolant lines to the heater core, for example.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer everything in the stock position. However, it wasn't worth it to me to have the engine mounts moved forward, and all of the other related expenses.

Did you have any questions in particular?
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:30 PM
323jamie
jamie

Registry
That bit of information that you have shared is wonderful. I new that this wasnt a one man band. Did you convert to a 380 trans later? I didnt have a v8 in my vehicle either. This is where I am at as of current. The fuel pump is a bit peculiar? The Vacum pump as you mentioned seemed from what little I did close maybe. I am 2 ears ready to listen. Could any of the things I am currently working on below bring any hints or suggestions?

High pressure power steering line (Napa make a fitting)
fuel pump lines in and out are an fitted type while the ones in vehicle are hose clamp (napa fitting make)
accelerator cable bracket (pending shippment)
missing glowplug power loom (pending shippment)
motor doesnt mount up directly (looking around ideas)
alternator wires are different (look around for ideas)
fabricate a engine air box (friends exhaust shop)
exhaust down pipe different (Friends exhaust shop)
fabricate a lower intercooler tube from turbo to bottom cooler. (friends exhaust shop)
Radiator and intercooler cleaned and pressure tested(AZ Radiator Shop)
motor mounts were missing studs to slide into engine mount brackets (ace hardware)
The clutch plate was worn rings, clutch had a broken spring and was stuck to the flywheel(resourced from rovahfarm).
Rear main seal (resourced from rovahfarm)
The flywheel is at a machine shop getting resurfaced. (Friends shop from our church $40)(picked up today)
Water pump (look to resource one)
2.5 N/A back plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2012, 07:16 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I will have Stan call you Jamie, what time is good for you?
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
323jamie
jamie

Registry
I will be off work after 1000 any time after that. Did those parts go out to my address?
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323jamie View Post
That bit of information that you have shared is wonderful. I new that this wasnt a one man band. Did you convert to a 380 trans later? I didnt have a v8 in my vehicle either. This is where I am at as of current. The fuel pump is a bit peculiar? The Vacum pump as you mentioned seemed from what little I did close maybe. I am 2 ears ready to listen. Could any of the things I am currently working on below bring any hints or suggestions?

High pressure power steering line (Napa make a fitting)
fuel pump lines in and out are an fitted type while the ones in vehicle are hose clamp (napa fitting make)
accelerator cable bracket (pending shippment)
missing glowplug power loom (pending shippment)
motor doesnt mount up directly (looking around ideas)
alternator wires are different (look around for ideas)
fabricate a engine air box (friends exhaust shop)
exhaust down pipe different (Friends exhaust shop)
fabricate a lower intercooler tube from turbo to bottom cooler. (friends exhaust shop)
Radiator and intercooler cleaned and pressure tested(AZ Radiator Shop)
motor mounts were missing studs to slide into engine mount brackets (ace hardware)
The clutch plate was worn rings, clutch had a broken spring and was stuck to the flywheel(resourced from rovahfarm).
Rear main seal (resourced from rovahfarm)
The flywheel is at a machine shop getting resurfaced. (Friends shop from our church $40)(picked up today)
Water pump (look to resource one)
2.5 N/A back plate?
I'll address what I can. I'm still relatively new, and if it hasn't given me problems, I probably haven't touched it yet.

Power steering line - yes, most likely need a custom. Mine was already installed, so I don't know.

Fuel pump lines - same story as power steering lines.

AC lines (if you're thinking about it) - Yep, need to be custom again. I just had that done yesterday on mine. Previous owner cut the line in two places and used normal rubber hose and some clamps.

Motor not mounting up - not quite sure what problem having or question you're asking.

Air box and any air inlet lines - don't do what the previous owner of my vehicle did and use stuff that rusts. Use aluminum, rubber, or even plastic. My old intake pipe looked like something that was lying around the shop. Nothing like rust flakes being sucked into the turbocharger.

2.5 NA back plate - You don't need the 2.5 N/A back plate. The LT77 will mount up good enough, 8 of 11 bolts. I would bet that the LT77 internals would snap first, especially if you've got an older LT77 (e.g. E suffix like mine).
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
323jamie
jamie

Registry
On the motor mounts that you have I was just wondering or if you could send a picture just for ideas on how to make them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi