LT77 Rebuild? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

LT77 Rebuild?

My 110 was originally a 2.5d. The PO converted it to a 200tdi (in the UK) in large part because apparently the existing gearbox was bad. He sourced a 200tdi disco and swapped the drivetrain (including transmission) over. Consequently the disco gearbox lever is coming up through the front of the seatbox. The existing gearbox feels OK with the 2nd gear synchro in the expected state of crankiness, but there's no rush to swap it out save to position the shifter in the "right" place.

I happened upon a defender LT77 locally that I picked up today more out of opportunity than anything else. The owner drove with it for a few thousand miles and said that it shifted fine, "except for an occasional thunk when it was cold that may have been due to a very worn clutch". The mainshaft splines look remarkably good, but what else can/should I do (up to a rebuild) to ensure that it's in good shape while I have time? I've read up on the rebuild documented here. Is there a good way to inspect this thing short of a complete teardown to ensure it's in good shape before an eventual swap? How nasty a job is a complete rebuild? I see Ashcroft sells a kit for 140.

Best next steps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

anyone?
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is no harder than rebuilding any other manual gearbox. Make sure it is a "G" or "H" suffix though as the older ones are not strong enough to be worth the effort behind a 200TDI.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Finally getting some miles on the 110 and the second gear syncro in the (disco) box ain't what it could be. Since I've got this one sitting here I'd might as well rebuild it or have it rebuilt -- anyone done this themselves?
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Finally getting some miles on the 110 and the second gear syncro in the (disco) box ain't what it could be. Since I've got this one sitting here I'd might as well rebuild it or have it rebuilt -- anyone done this themselves?
Never done an LT77, but the R380 is easy enough. The big thing is to check to make sure the synchro hubs are ok. If they are bad they are spendy. The balk rings are cheap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild