LT77 Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:15 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

LT77 Question

Hiya Guys , it been a while since i have been on the site...i just recently sold my D90 and now picked up a bit of a mechanical project. Still up in the air on how crazy i am going to get. But i couldn't resist the deal. Still gauging if i am going to keep it or sell it.

It's 1987 110 - 200tdi / LT77 RHD and i am going to address a few mechanic thangs

1. LT77 - grinds from 1st - 2nd (have to double clutch) forget about down shifting into 2nd / 1st.
  2. Lots of play from the output shaft on the transfer case
  3. Rear diff leaking from the seal fron seal where the ujoint is

My question is will another LT77 (suffix G) / LT230 fit seamlessly from a LHD earlier 2.5 diesel motor?
Anything to watch for, as far as needed bits. I only ask because i found a local setup intact at a fair price. Otherwsie i might buy the goodies from Ashcroft in the UK!?

BTW: here are some glamor shots the day i picked it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes it will bolt up. I would make sure it has proper fluid before giving up on it.

The other two items are easy fixes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes it will bolt up. I would make sure it has proper fluid before giving up on it.

The other two items are easy fixes.
Thanks. It is topped up - not sure if its the proper fluid though - is there a certain type of fluid?

The guy i bought it off didn't know much about what he had, looks to have serviced it himself. ;-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:18 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
A lot of guys here use Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7 Its been known to improve the LT77's performance. When I drained mine and filled it with redline it shifted smoother and was a little quieter.

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2014 01:19 PM ------

And if you're interested in doing it yourself, this is a pretty good step by step http://www.landroverexpedition.com/t...box-oil-change
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

R380?

Your best and most reliable option is to replace with a new or reman R380 from Ashcroft, but it is also the most expensive (option).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Pennzoil Synchromesh. Cheaper than MTL and slightly lower viscosity as well. Works great on my truck.

BTW I did a rebuild of an LT77 and it's not difficult. Can be done with basic tools, a vise, a good torque wrench, drill press, and a 5 gallon bucket. Grinding on 1/2 shift is easily fixed with new synchros.

At minimum I would do the full rebuild kit from Ashcroft's. Shift forks may need replacing if they are worn.
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Try some Redline MTL, as it is easy to find and see. It is possible the synchros are gone if it had the wrong oil and an owner that rushed the shifts.

First, post up the serial numbers of the current boxes and the ones you are look at putting in. You want to make sure you don't get undesirable gearing ratios in there. The gearing from a 2.5NA may not be the best. The best ones are what came with a TDI, but who knows what is in there now.

The LT230 rear output bearing can be swapped in place in minutes, if that is bad. More likely the nut is loose.

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If he didn't know, time to play it safe and replace the vital fluids.
Worth doing on any used purchase. Call it resetting the clock.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:58 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
A lot of guys here use Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7 Its been known to improve the LT77's performance. When I drained mine and filled it with redline it shifted smoother and was a little quieter.

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2014 01:19 PM ------

And if you're interested in doing it yourself, this is a pretty good step by step http://www.landroverexpedition.com/t...box-oil-change
Great Information - i am thinking it is the tranny that needs work though, looks like 5th gear has a high pitch whine as well. (i will change the fluids anyways so i can drive it until then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Your best and most reliable option is to replace with a new or reman R380 from Ashcroft, but it is also the most expensive (option).
Yes, i would agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Pennzoil Synchromesh. Cheaper than MTL and slightly lower viscosity as well. Works great on my truck.

BTW I did a rebuild of an LT77 and it's not difficult. Can be done with basic tools, a vise, a good torque wrench, drill press, and a 5 gallon bucket. Grinding on 1/2 shift is easily fixed with new synchros.

At minimum I would do the full rebuild kit from Ashcroft's. Shift forks may need replacing if they are worn.
Perfect, i have a mechanic shop that i am trading services for who will do the work...i am leaning towards a rebuild kit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Try some Redline MTL, as it is easy to find and see. It is possible the synchros are gone if it had the wrong oil and an owner that rushed the shifts.

First, post up the serial numbers of the current boxes and the ones you are look at putting in. You want to make sure you don't get undesirable gearing ratios in there. The gearing from a 2.5NA may not be the best. The best ones are what came with a TDI, but who knows what is in there now.

The LT230 rear output bearing can be swapped in place in minutes, if that is bad. More likely the nut is loose.
ok. i will get the serials if i go that route...still thinking rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If he didn't know, time to play it safe and replace the vital fluids.
Worth doing on any used purchase. Call it resetting the clock.
Yes, it needs a reset mechanically - the frame and body makes this worthwhile (hopefully)
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:56 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
The rebuild kits for the 77 aren't insane money or extremely complex (mechanically) that said I think Dave at urban sticks rebuilt transmissions for the lt 77 and the r380; might be worth going r380 rebuilt by the time you add it all up
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Give the Redline a shot...Ours was similar and helped quite a bit. Definitely a cheap/easy start to the fix...
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:38 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Give the Redline a shot...Ours was similar and helped quite a bit. Definitely a cheap/easy start to the fix...
ok. will do
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
might be worth going r380 rebuilt by the time you add it all up
Except he would need a short bellhousing conversion which is a lot of cashola.

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:40 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
The rebuild kits for the 77 aren't insane money or extremely complex (mechanically) that said I think Dave at urban sticks rebuilt transmissions for the lt 77 and the r380; might be worth going r380 rebuilt by the time you add it all up

Who is this 'Dave at urban stick'...that you speak of?
Googled but nuttin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions