Lt77 Output shaft replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Lt77 Output shaft replacement

I'm starting to narrow down the problems in my Defender, and I think much of it may be related to the infamous shaft wear issues. It's a very early '94 with the LT77. I had to have the transfer case repaired for an unrelated shifter issue about 2 years ago under warranty that required a complete teardown, and the receipt says 'output shaft replaced'... but I won't know for sure until I inspect it. I don't know if they replaced the input gear and marked it wrong on the reciept, or if they replaced the output shaft but not the input gear.

I know you can replace the input gear in the transfer case easy enough, and I plan on inspecting that this weekend. But if the output shaft on the tranny must be replaced, can I get away with only pulling the transfer case? or does the whole tranny need to come out as well?

I've seen old postings on other forums that support both ideas, but never anybody saying "I' done it." If I have to get a new tranny, I have to get a new one.... but I'd prefer not to if I can get away with it.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hans,
Transmission output shaft replacement on a manual trans requires completely dismantling the transmission...for either an LT77 or R380. The output stub shaft on the ZF4hp22 Automatic can be replaced with the trans and t-box in the car.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well..... crap.

Won't know for sure until I pull the PTO cover off to inspect the gear, but I really can't afford a tranny at the moment considering I already need tires. I'll know more on Saturday.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 11:36 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You could pound nails in between the output shaft and input gear like they do in third world countries. Or like the brits do before they sell them on to US.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL if it all ends up having to get replaced anyways, I may just do that to get me through until spring. Anything to keep me from being forced into the CJ as my daily ride.

-Hans

Old December 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
You could pound nails in between the output shaft and input gear like they do in third world countries. Or like the brits do before they sell them on to US.

Who would do such a thing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac