LT77 fill/drain points - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

LT77 fill/drain points

Hi folks. I decided to replace my transfer case/transmission fluid today. I located a plug on the side, and opened it up, and was surprised to find a bunch of fluid leaking out all over me. Is there another fill point higher up that I've missed?

After this, I was surprised again when I opened the lower point, to discover only a small amount coming out of the bottom: less than 1 litre in total. i'm not sure how oil could have been coming out the top with so little coming out the bottom. Could someone maybe fill me in on what I'm missing here?

I've included a photo of me pointing to what I think is the fill hole, where oil came out when I removed the plug. You can see oil draining out of the drain hole at the left side of the photo.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6343.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	101706  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2014, 06:28 PM
350rangerover

can you fill it from the shifter?
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The hole In the picture is the correct fill hole afaik.

Not sure how you can have oil running out of it. It is possible to fill the shift via the reverse light switch hole but no other place on the shifter is convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350rangerover View Post
can you fill it from the shifter?
Ah OK I think you've solved that for me. I assume the filler is the thing I'm pointing to in the photo below?

Did I at least have the right drain plug? I'm concerned at how little fluid actually leaked out. I'll have to see how much goes in.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6347.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	101709  
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:45 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The hole In the picture is the correct fill hole afaik.

Not sure how you can have oil running out of it. It is possible to fill the shift via the reverse light switch hole but no other place on the shifter is convenient.
Hmm, so what's the fill-neck-thingy in my previous post then? Thanks for confusing me again, haha.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM
350rangerover

you should be able to fill it with a flexible tube
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:23 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
The first pic is the fill hole. The reason only a liter or so drained out is because you drained only the extension housing, not the transmission. There are two drains, I see that one plug is still in there in your first pic. Remove it and more lube should drain out.

You should see a filter screen when you removed the extension housing plug. Remove that and clean or replace before refilling.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think you might be confused. The trans and transfer case have separate fills and drains and do not use the same fluids. If you download the factory workshop manual (its all over the web) it shows how to go about this routine maint item.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:33 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I think you might be confused. The trans and transfer case have separate fills and drains and do not use the same fluids. If you download the factory workshop manual (its all over the web) it shows how to go about this routine maint item.

All indeed true. To clarify what I'm saying though there are two drain plugs on the LT77 transmission, separate and apart from the transfer case. The first pic posted shows only the drain plug for the extension housing has been removed. The main case plug is still in there. This explains why it isn't fully drained yet.
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Hmm, so what's the fill-neck-thingy in my previous post then? Thanks for confusing me again, haha.
That is not the "fill neck thingy". That is the ball and spring detente for limiting side to side motion of the shifter. Do not remove or adjust that unless you know what you are doing.

------ Follow up post added August 27th, 2014 11:13 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
All indeed true. To clarify what I'm saying though there are two drain plugs on the LT77 transmission, separate and apart from the transfer case. The first pic posted shows only the drain plug for the extension housing has been removed. The main case plug is still in there. This explains why it isn't fully drained yet.
This is correct. The op has not fully drained his transmission.
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This might help:
http://www.landroverexpedition.com/t...box-oil-change
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Great link Dave. Also, I found this really useful to refill the transmission...just don't use it in your garden after http://www.amazon.com/Smith-190285-1.../dp/B002YNSADU
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:29 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fits gallon jugs or quarts.
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:48 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks everyone. I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I'm probably the world's worst mechanic but for some reason I keep on trying.

I had my transmission out over the winter as it ran out of fluid and broke. The guy who did the rebuild knows these trucks really well, and I was sure he'd told me that the transmission and transfer case share oil. I remember being really surprised about that at the time. I can't really imagine him begin wrong about that so I guess I must have misunderstood him. That's the basis for a lot of my confusion on the matter.

I've done some more reading on the subject (thanks for the links) and I now have a much clearer understanding of what's happening. Two other useful links I came across are:

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/730/l...ox-oil-change/
http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/744/l...ox-oil-change/

Finally, I'm still not sure why when I opened my fill plug on the transmission, a bunch of fluid came out. Any ideas? I've heard of people jacking up one side of the vehicle when they fill the transmission, so maybe the shop who re-installed it did that. That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Thanks everyone. I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I'm probably the world's worst mechanic but for some reason I keep on trying.

I had my transmission out over the winter as it ran out of fluid and broke. The guy who did the rebuild knows these trucks really well, and I was sure he'd told me that the transmission and transfer case share oil. I remember being really surprised about that at the time. I can't really imagine him begin wrong about that so I guess I must have misunderstood him. That's the basis for a lot of my confusion on the matter.

I've done some more reading on the subject (thanks for the links) and I now have a much clearer understanding of what's happening. Two other useful links I came across are:

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/730/l...ox-oil-change/
http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/744/l...ox-oil-change/

Finally, I'm still not sure why when I opened my fill plug on the transmission, a bunch of fluid came out. Any ideas? I've heard of people jacking up one side of the vehicle when they fill the transmission, so maybe the shop who re-installed it did that. That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
or he may have filled it on the floor before installing it in the truck.
The only trans/tcase that I know of that shares lube is the lt95.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 28th, 2014, 09:05 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
or he may have filled it on the floor before installing it in the truck.
The only trans/tcase that I know of that shares lube is the lt95.
That's a good possibility and makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I know on mine when I first got it I filled it from some access plug way up high under the inspection cover. This led to fluid coming out of the fill hole (which is how I drained it back down to a proper fill).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain